Chapter 31. Randall. Day 147.

I sat on the table, leaning close to the open window. Marty's hands moved pulling the strings of a ukulele he'd found. I knew the song, the happy notes echoing loudly in the room, but I couldn't bring myself to mouth the words.

The bedroom door opened hitting the wall behind it. A small voice mumbled sorry to the wall, catching herself apologizing to an inanimate object. Winona walked further in, shaking her head as she struggled to regather her stuff in her arms.

She dropped her notebook and the large princess calender on the table beside me. Various papers spread across the table with colourful pens. "So it's been one hundred and forty-seven days since the start. That means today is Ferris' birthday."

Marty set the instrument down, his mouth turning into a slight frown. "Don't tell him."

I looked back to his sister, seeing her push her black hair away from her eyes. "That's what I was thinking, a surprise party!"

I flicked my cigarette ash, taking another drag. Marty stood up, pulling on his sleeves. "No, Nona, I mean don't tell him. Don't have a party. Just don't."

She turned around, her mouth turning to ask why without the words. "It's his 18th birthday. Slater and Molly had big parties for their 18th birthday, why shouldn't he get one?"

"Maybe because the world ended somewhere between Slater's birthday and now." I took another drag, blowing the smokey words out.

"Birthdays aren't important anymore, Winona." Marty placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Then what is?" She grabbed her stuff, shoving it all into her thin arms. She stormed to the door, stopping in front of it. She let out a defeated sigh.

Marty pushed his glasses up, "You have too much stuff in your arms, huh."

The door opened, Ferris walking in. Winona pushed past him rushing into the hallway. He turned to look at her, and looked back to us. "What'd you do?" He looked at Marty.

Marty's face dropped, "Nothing. She's crazy and I wasn't going to let her bring everyone else down because of it."

Ferris shook his head, "She's 13, Marty. How bad could it be."

I flicked my cigarette butt out into the street behind the hotel. I stood up, walking out of the room, so Marty and Ferris could argue.

"Well, fuck!" I let the door close as Marty began yelling.

I walked towards the stairs, turning down the hallway. I stopped, seeing all of Winona's papers and notebook on the floor beside an open window.

I looked out the window, seeing her sitting on the flat roof. Her knees were pulled close to her chest. I slid part way out of the window, seeing someone sitting beside her.

The body wore an old black hoodie, their long arm, wrapping around her shoulders. "I'm sorry." Her head moved against his body. His fingers moved to brush through her hair and her small hand moved to wipe her cheek.

I moved back inside, slamming the window closed, flipping the lock on it. I moved back down the hallway, pushing the door open to Marty, Ferris and I's room. I closed the door, looking at Marty as he sat on the couch.

"You look pissed." He muttered, grabbing the ukulele.

I turned to look at him, pulling the cigarette pack out off my jacket. "You do that to me, sometimes."