chapter eighteen: couples quarrel

at the edge of the cliff

chapter eighteen: couples quarrel

"After you, my lady." Grayson says grinning goofily, holding the door open to some random apartment building.

"So where are we?" I ask glancing up at him. He throws an arm over my shoulder and just keeps walking. When we step in the elevator, I immediately go to the corner and hold on to the little rails. I absolutely hate elevators and one of my biggest fears is getting stuck in one.

"So Ms. Badass is scared of elevators, huh?" he smirks standing next to me. I elbow him in the ribs making him laugh, and keep my eyes closed looking down. A hand snakes around my waist but I still don't open my eyes. "I got you." he says quietly. A small smile forms on my lips and I suddenly feel less scared. As soon as the doors start to open, I squeeze myself through wanting to get off as quickly as possible. "Here we are." he speaks stopping in front of a door. "I just need to talk to a friend for a second." he says. He knocks three times and a model, I mean a guy opens the door. His sandy blonde hair falls in curls to his shoulders and he hugs Grayson when he sees him.

"My man!" he says loudly pulling him through the door. I awkwardly walk in and shut the door.

"What's up, Dylan?" Grayson asks folding his arms. They talk for a minute with me standing awkwardly to the side, not knowing what to do.

"So this is your girl?" I hear Dylan say stepping closer to me. I shake my head with my nose scrunched up.

"His girl is at school." I say rolling my eyes. Grayson stands beside me and laughs a fake laugh.

"So your his side ho?" he asks with an eyebrow raised and a slight smirk on his face. I raise an eyebrow mimicking him and open my mouth to say something.

"Wouldn't mess with her man. She's a crazy one." Grayson chimes in with amusement written all over his face.

"Im not fucking crazy you dipshit." I say slapping his shoulder. The two guys laugh at me and I huff in annoyance.

"So what can I get you-"

"Um, let's go in the back and talk." Grayson interrupts him and Dylan looks at me before nodding. I roll my eyes and flop into the couch while they walk to the back. He said what can I get you. Like sell him? That's what im guessing they meant. Didn't picture Grayson the type to do drugs, but at the same time its what I exactly expected him to do. I take my phone out of my pocket and switched it on for the first time since last night. As soon as I open the messages from Ryder, I get a call. From Ryder.

"Hello?" I press the phone against my hear. I hear some shuffling and a lot of noise. Then it all stops and im guessing he went outside or a different room.

"Shay? What the fuck? Where the hell have you been? Where are you?" I sigh at all of the questions and now I feel bad I haven't spoken to him.

"Im sorry. I just- "

"Are you okay?" he asks sternly. I felt like a little kid getting in trouble but I'm glad someone cares.

"I'm fine." I sigh fighting back the tears that for some reason brim my eyes. "I'm fine. I just needed to get away for a bit." I say letting out a shaky breath.

"Where are you?" his voice sounds less woried and I smile.

"I am with Grayson. Were just riding around town." I sort of lie. We're not even in town anymore. He needed to "talk" to his friend so we drove here then I wanted to get food after.

"Grayson Delgato? You've been around him a lot lately, are you two together?" he asked. The question almost made me laugh. I shook my head no then realized he couldn't see me.

"God no, Ryder." I say laughing. He tells someone in the background to be quiet and I start to wonder who he is talking to.

"Alright. Stay safe. Love you." he says quickly. I scrunch my eyebrows.

"Yeah love you too." I say right before he ended the phone call. I looked at the phone for a minute and shook my head. I look towards the room they went to but I saw Grayson standing at the start of the hallway. Had he really listened to my conversation?

"Lets go." he grunted. I slowly stood up and walked around the couch. Dylan comes in and pats him on the back.

"What's up your ass?" I asked folding my arms annoyed. I swear this guys mood changes so fast. He rolls his eyes.

"Woah did I just walk in a couples quarrel?" Dylan raises an eyebrow looking at both of us. I groaned in annoyance.

"I told you-"

"We're not a couple." Grayson finishes. I point at him and nod in agreement but still look at him questioningly. Seriously, what his problem? "Come on. We're leaving." Grayson huge hands clasp around my arm and pulls me towards the door. I stumble trying to catch up with him.

"Nice to meet you Dylan!" I yell while we go out the door. I hear him yell bye. I look back at Grayson as he keeps dragging me behind him. We stop in the elevator and I jerk my arm away. "Seriously dude! What's your deal?" I ask. He grunts in response and takes his phone out of his pocket. He starts tapping away ignoring me completely. I watch him for a moment. His nostrils are flared a little and his face is the slightest tint of red. He is mad. But I don't know why.

"Grayson?" I ask. I see his eyes flicker up then back down never giving me a reply. I take a step forward and put a hand on his bicep.

Not bad.

Focus.

He tenses up before relaxing. Then out of nowhere he pushes me away. "Can you just leave me alone?" he asks loudly. I stand there until the doors open not saying anything. "Shay-"

"Just take me to my car." I say looking away. He sighs and we drive in silence to the school. I get out when he stops and turn around when the window is rolled down.

"See you tomorrow?" he asks smiling the tiniest bit of hope in his voice.

"Sure." I nod forcing a smile