chapter sixty: progress

at the edge of the cliff

chapter sixty: progress

So there we were. Me. My mom. Grayson. And his mom. To say it is awkward would be an understatement. I mean, if your an outsider looking in, it would probably look fine. Our mothers were chatting it up, talking and laughing about random things. They hit it off. But then there is me and Grayson, oppisite side of them, sitting silent.

After my mother left to order all the food, Grayson didn't say much. He said something about asking his mom, kissed me, then left. And then half an hour later he sent me a message that was very short and to the point. And then they were here. And he hasn't really said anything since.

"So Shay," Marie starts eyeing the both of us. My mother sat beside her, the same expression. "are you to together? I've been dying to ask since the first day I met you." She says the last part quieter making me chuckle. A fake chuckle. I felt like I was supposed to laugh. I look over to Grayson who still looked like he didn't want to be here. What the hell do I say? I open my mouth to go with the safe answer of no, but he beats me to it.

"Yeah. We are." Grayson grunts, covering up his attutude by shoving food in his mouth. Both of our mother squeal and laugh, clapping their hands together like freaking seals.

Okay, that's a start. He doesn't hate me.

"I knew it!" Marie shouts. "You were in his clothes and I just knew it when I seen you too." She looks to my mother, who raised her eyebrows. "I knew it." She repeats. My mother slits her eyes playfully at me,  I smile sheepishly. She just made that sound a lot worse than it was.

"So how long?" My mom asks casually, taking a sip of her wine. Like, officially? Never. Unoffically? A couple weeks. Unoffically unoffically? Now it feels like since the day we met. There had just always been something there. "Not long." I say nonchalantly. They both nod.

Dinner didn't last for much longer. It stayed the same pretty much the whole way through. I picked up the plates off the table as Grayson pushed in the chairs. The mothers disappeared into the livingroom. "It wasn't as bad as you thought, huh?" I ask hesitantly after an eternity of silence. I wait for his reply while I struggle balancing all the plates in my hand.

"I didn't even talk to her." He grumbled beginning to grab the glasses. Yes he sounded a little upset, but I took it as a good sign. He wanted to talk to his mom.

"We'll get there." I comment, starting to walk into the kitchen, very slowly so I don't drop anything. I hear his footsteps behind me.

"We? Your not the one who has to do it." His voice was still in a low grumble. I put everything into the sink and spun around, watching as he avoided looking at me, stacking the glasses in the sink as well.

"Okay fine. See how far you get with her without me." I cross my arms, raising an eyebrow. He looks up.

"You think I need you?" He asks calmly. I felt a stab at my heart, but stay stone. I nod. He stated at me for a minute longer before his eyes soften. "You're right." He sighs. "I do." He pulls me into his chest and I melt into his arms. We hold onto eachother tight like we were afraid to let go.

"We should go in there." I mumble into his chest. His head was burried in my neck as he took a deep breath. He slowly pulled away nodding. Hand in hand we walked down the hallway and into the living room where the two ladies sat side by side on the couch, a mug of coffee in their hands.

"Come sit." My mom nods towards the smaller couch smiling. I let Grayson pull me to the couch and we both fall into the plush cushions. "So, how's school for you guys?" She questions. I almost groan. As it is pretty much obvious now, I despise that hell hole. But it necessary.

"Its. . .good? As good as school can be." Grayson answers with a shrug. His mood seemed a little lighter now, and his mom notices it. She chuckles softly watching her son.

"Do you know what you want to do?" My mom asks yet another question directed towards Grayson. I see Marie perk up a little bit, curiousity dancing in her eyes. I guess she wants to know too.

I felt sort of special already knowing the answer to this question.

"Something to do with astronomy." He speaks after a moment.

"Really?" My mom takes a drink of her coffee as he nods. Marie smiles at her son.

"That's great honey." She says softly. Grayson squeezes my hand that is still in his as he finally looks over to his mom. I watch his face closely and almost lose my breath when he smiles back. It was a small smile, but it was there.

"Thanks mom."

-

-

-

"Did you have fun?" I ask looking over to Grayson. We were sat on my front porch. Our moms were inside saying goodbye to each other, exchanging numbers and whatnot.

"Yeah. I did." His voice was distant and quiet. I nod and look back out into the dark night. The air was cold but my body was warm as Grayson had his arm around my shoulder.

"You're very confusing." I mumble leaning my head onto his shoulder. His body vibrates as he chuckles.

"Did you have fun?" He asks turning the question around. I just nod. I did have fun. It was a little wierd at first, or mainly through the entire dinner, but after, after that little breakthrough with his mom, everything was smooth sailing. "That's all I care about." My heart did a flip but I rolled my eyes. I moved away from him and turned so inwas completely facing him.

"You need to care about your mom." He furrows his eyebrows.

"I do care." He snaps. I sigh.

"I know you care." I mumble standing up. He follows. "But she doesn't." He stares down at me. The door opens behind us turning our attention to the two that walk out of the house.

"Ready?" Marie asks Gray, slipping her arms through her coat. He simpley nods. Marie starts down the steps and toward the car. My mother stands in the door way, arms crossed, watching us. Grayson looks down at me.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" He asks hopefully, reminding me of the fight tomorrow at noon.

"Of course." I smile. He dips his head down, planting a kiss on the tip of my nose before following his mom to the car. After watching them leave I turn to my mother who was grinning ear to ear.

I sigh ready for a wirlwind of questions.