chapter forty-two: not so hung over

at the edge of the cliff

chapter forty-two: not so hungover

A knock on my door pulls me away from my book. Yes, I was reading. Why? Because I don't know. I'm that bored I guess. I just got home from school, and for once, I am not completely and utterly exhausted. So that resorted to me reading. "Come in." I shout, tossing my book to the end of the bed. The door creak open and Wen come into the room, an unreadable expression on her face. I sit up, my heart immediately starting to sink. "What is it?" I ask. She sighs, closing the door before taking a seat beside me on my bed. "Wen?" I call carefully.

"Its your mom." At those three words my heart goes to my toes and I feel sick. I open my mouth only for it to close again. Wen turns her body completely facing me, taking my hands in hers, resting them between us. "Do you remember us talking about how she wants to see you and her release date was unknown?" She asks. Her expression was still unreadable, so I couldn't tell if what was about to come out of her mouth was good or bad. I slowly nod. "Well," her expression slowly turns to a happier one leaving me confused. "she's getting out." As soon as those words leave her mouth, I literally feel my breath hitch inside my throat. I begin coughing which made Wen stand up and come to my side, lightly slapping me on the back. When I calm down, the words finally process in my head. She is getting out. My mom. She is getting out of jail.

"How? When?" I spit out completely shocked at the news. I knew it was a possibility she would get out, but I didn't think it'd happen so soon. Shit, apart of thought it wouldn't happen at all. Its only been a little over three weeks. "She's getting out?!" I say a little louder, a little more excited, jumping up from the bed. Wen grins from ear to ear, watching jump around happily.

She's getting out of jail! I will finally see her again after all these years. I'll see what she looks like. I'll get to give my mom a hug.

That's all I've wanted for so, so, so long.

And now it's happening.

"But," Wen says making me freeze, looking at her, my excitment slowly seeping out of me because it didn't sound like a good but. "we need to discuss what will happen after she gets out." Wen slowly sits back down on the bed as she speaks, making me follow her actions.

"Oh." I blink. "Yeah. Right." Wen scoots closer to me, linking her arm through mine comfortingly.

"I was thinking maybe you two could stay here, ya know, until she gets on her feet?" She suggests. I snap my head over to her. Would that be okay? Would my mom want to do that? I'm sure she'd be fine with it. "And I am still your legal guardian for now, so I really am insisting you stay here until everything is sorted out and I'll know you'll be fine." As she keeps talking my mind starts to wonder, but I still listen closely. "I don't know your mom, but she sounds amazing from what I've heard from you, so I don't doubt she'll take care of you, but she's been gone for a while now, Shay. Things are gonna be different. Especially when she learns every thing that happened to you." I listened to her words and all my excitement was gone.

Things are different.

Everything is different.

Her first ex-husband, my father, is the reason she is in jail and ever since then he has took it upon himself to turn me into his punching doll. Then I tried to kill myself. Amilio came back to team up with my father and torure me. Someone else has custody of me. I thought she was dead. I haven't seen her in years. I look and act a whole lot different. I'm sure she does to, especially after spending all that time in jail with actual criminals.

"Yeah." I mumble quietly. "I'm gonna go for a walk." With one last very forced smile towards Wen, I grab my phone and slip on a random pair of shoes and leave. My feet keep walking in the direction of no particular place, but everything around me was a blur. My heart kept pounding. My head kept spinning. My thoughts were all over the place. The wind was picking up making it it get colder. I'm thankful now my hair is thrown into a bun or it would for sure be all over the place. The only clothing I had in was a pair of shorts and one of Grayson's hoodie I took a while ago. Well, I didn't take it on purpose. I was in his car and we were driving to the cliff after school one day and he gave it to me because I was cold.