chapter sixty-seven: the big day

at the edge of the cliff

chapter sixty-seven: the big day

Grayson wasn't at school. That little shit left me all alone. Well, I have Ryder. And Jemma. But in all honesty, I miss him.

I called. No answer. I texted. No answer.

I'm pretty sure that last text I sent was me telling him to go fuck himself because he was reading the messages but not responding.

Today was our date though. Well tonight. So I'm pretty sure that's what he is doing.

"Hey chica." I say leaning beside Jemma's locker.

"Hey." She greets taking out her books. "Long time no talk." Jemma shuts the locker and turns to me, a mock stern look on her face. "Its because of that new boyfriend of yours." I roll my eyes and push her back.

"You're one to talk." I say making her laugh.

"True." She nods as we start walking towards the lunch room. "Speaking of. Where is our boyfriends?" She asks. I sigh thinking back to Ryder at home puking his guts out.

"Well, both our mom's went to this dinner thing for something so me and Ryder ordered Chinese food. He ate some bad chicken and has been paying for it ever since." I say. Jem aws saying something about 'poor baby' making me almost throw up.

"What about Grayson?" She asks.

"I think he's getting ready for our date." I mutter. We get into the cafeteria, taking our normal table. Jemma gives me a weird look.

"Neither one of you seem like date people." Oh how right she was. We are not. But he is insisting we go on at least one. I nod in agreement.

"We're not. But he says we need to go on one to be like, an official couple. Its stupid really." I lean my elbows on the table and rest my chin in my hand.

"Its sweet." She argues. Knew he her dissmissivly. She would think that.

"Anyways. He's picking me up at six? Six I think. I don't even know where we're going." I say. She sqeals.

"Oh my gosh! Its gonna be one of those cute surprises!" She exclaims. I roll my eyes.

God, we are so different.

-

-

-

I had to at least try and look nice, right? I'm pretty sure anything apart from leggings or sweatpants would be considered nice for me. Dresses are a no go. I just can't do it. Same with heels. I'm clumsy enough as is.

So I started with dark high waisted skinny jeans that had rips going all the way up. After wiggling into those, I went through my tops. I settled with a black long sleeved body suit that was laced all the way up the sleeves. After pulling on my white slip on vans, I stand in front of the mirror.

Not too shabby.

I leave my hair as is and applied the tiniest bit of makeup. Nothing crazy and boom! I was ready.

I tried to waste as much time as possible upstairs because I knew that everyone was home at the moment, and if I go down there like this they'll ask questions. And I don't want to deal with that. But when it got to 5:50, I knew I needed to go downstairs because I didn't want anyone else to open the door. I jog down the stairs and turn the corner, going into the living room. Ryder and Jemma sat cuddled up on the couch together while High School Musical played on the Tv. They didn't even notice me. So what did I do? As quietly as possible, I opened the door and slipped outside. I'll just wait for him out here, then no one will even know I left.

After five or so minutes waiting out in the cold, I see Grayson's car pull into the driveway. I bite back a smile as I stand up from my place on the ground and walk down the driveway to meet him. He climbs out of the car. "Hey." He greets pulling me in for a quick kiss. I mumble a hi, suddenly feeling a little nervous.

We are going on a date.

"Ready?" He asks, one of his eyebrows arched. I nod slowly and we both climb into the car. This is really happening? I'm going on my first date? We're going on our first date? Yeah, I haven't ever really been on a date. Like I said before, I've had little things here and there, but those were guys I met at parties and then just messed around with. Never dated. I was never their girlfriend. Never a real thing. This thing with Grayson? I would say its pretty freaking real. That's kind of scary to be completely honest. The whole people thing is hard enough for me. I don't like most people. I don't trust anyone, with the exception of a very select few. And I'm just giving into this thing I have with Grayson so easily.

Maybe that's why I'm doing it. Because its so easy. I met him and despite our falling outs here and there, we were always there. He was the escape from reality. My dad. My mom. My pain. My life. He was there, not for it all of course, but every step of the way since we met really. But its always been easy. Not easy. We've had our shitty times, our fights. But we ended up back together every single time. He never left me. I never left him.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He speaks up. I look over at him. Grayson had one hand on the steering wheel, one elbow rested on the door. His dark hair wasn't as messy which made me smile because as far as I know, he never does his hair. Just leaves it as is. But that means he put in effort. . .for me. He had on plain black jeans, per usual, and a maroon shirt under his leather jacket. He looked good.

"They'll cost a lot more than a penny." I mumble sinking down more into the seat, pulling my knees up to my chest. I think I would die if he knew what I was actual thinking. I know its pretty obvious, to him at least, that I over think every thing. But he doesn't know exactly what I'm thinking. He doesn't know that I'm not as cool and tough and badass on the inside as I am on the outside.

He laughs.

"Oh I bet." He nods. I look over to him at the same time he looks to me. He winks, a playful grin on his lips.

"So," I start on a new topic. One besides me. "where are we going?" I ask.

"Can't tell you that."

"Why not?"

"Because its top secret."

"Well by the direction your going I would say. . ." I trail off tapping my chin. "we're going to the cliff." His shoulders slump and he groans.

"Did you have to ruin it?" He whined like a child. I laugh. "You know what no." He suddenly says. "When we get to the road I'm going I'm blindfold you, just like I had planned. And you're going to walk that pretty little ass of yours up that cliff, like you don't know where your going. And you're going to act surprised at whats at the top." He nods to himself in satisfaction when he finishes. "And you're gonna love it." He adds.

"Got it." I laugh.