chapter forty-eight: returning

at the edge of the cliff

chapter forty-eight: returning

All good things must come to an end right? I didn't understand why they did, but I knew, especially when it comes to me, that they do. "You look blue." Grayson comments casually slipping his hand in mine, lacing our fingers; something that had become a regular thing for us. We walked down the side walk back to his car after leaving a small cafe in some random town. I nod.

"Just a little sad." I say truthfully. Except I wasn't a little sad, I was a lot sad. Our trip was very short lived and has now come to an end.

"Me too." He mutters. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and know that it was Wen. Only a day after we left she called absolutley freaking out. I only told her two things: 1. That I was perfectly fine. 2. I'd be back in a few days. Saying where I was would be useless because we didn't stay in one place very long. And telling her I was with Grayson is irrelevant information that she didn't need to know.

As for Grayson on the other hand, and as far as I knew, he hasn't spoken to anyone since we left. Actually, I haven't seen him on his phone once. I haven't been either besides that quick exchange with Wen.  Yes, she has texted me multiple times along with Ryder and Jemma, and surprisingly Dylan even though I'm pretty sure it was only to ask where Grayson was.

But its been really nice being detached from off of the shit going on back home.

"You know we don't have to go back." Graysons words spiked up curiousity inside me and I looked up at him. He stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, pulling me to the side letting the people behind us walk passed. "We could run away." I almost let out a laugh thinking he was joke, but as his eyes poured desperately into mine, I knew he was serious.

"Gray." I start but I didn't know what to say. What do I say? There was an internal war going on inside me right now.

One side was saying GO! Don't even think about it. You trust him, you could go away with him. Everything would be great. No worries. No stresses. No problems. Just the two of us agaisnt the world. And I'd be perfectly okay with that.

But then the other half of me way saying ARE YOU INSANE?! As much as you want out of this town, you'd be leaving so many things behind. Wen. Ryder. School. Your mother.

"Yeah, no, sorry. Its just. . ." I hold my hand up, making his fake smirk drop, stopping him from making some random, made up excuse.

"Listen. If we're still. . ." I pause. What even were we? "here when we graduate, ask me then. Okay? Then I'd basically be dragging you out of the state." I say lightly but truthfully. He seemed satisfied enough with my answer to bring our interlocked hands up to his lips, slowly bringing his lips to the back of my hand. That feeling, the warm almost happy feeling erupted inside my stomach as I kept my eyes locked with his as he did so.

"I'll remember that." He says softly letting our hands fall back down between us. "In fact, I'll hold you to it."

I hope he does.

-

-

-

I looked around the small diner and was instantly in love. The floor was checkered, the stools at the bar were red along with the booths and chairs at the table. The tables themselves along with the bar was silver. Even though it was defiantly retro themed, it still gave a futuristic vibe to it. A lady walked out in a black crop top with a very high waisted pink skirt that had a small poodle in the corner. Her hair was pulled into a teased ponytail, and her make up slightly over done, but it went with the theme. "Table for two?" She asked, eyeing not only Grayson, but me as well. I nod and shift on my other foot. She grabs a note pad out of the apron she was also wearing and led us to a booth for two. I slid in as Grayson followed sitting across from me. "Drinks?" She asked, her eyes landing on Grayson. I watch utterly disgusted when she flicked her tounge out wetting her lips. I scoffed, unitentionally. Grayson smirked but didn't look away from her.