chapter twenty-five: a new friend

at the edge of the cliff

chapter twenty five: a new friend

My bare feet touch the cold, wooden floor and a draft flows through the room. I look over to the window that is open just a little letting in the October air outside. I shiver and run to the bathroom which always seems to be a little bit warmer. In result of going to sleep with wet shower hair, I wake up to a literal birds nest knotted on top if my head. I roll my eyes at my morning appearance and grab the brush lying on the counter. Ten minutes later, my hair was in a fluffy mess. My eyes drift over to the hair wand that I have had forever but never really use. I look back at my reflection.

Maybe you should try and not look like shit today.

Maybe that little voice in my head is right.

I plug it in and switch it to on. Seeing as it takes a minute to heat up, I go over to my closet to look for an outfit. I've never been the type to dress "fashionably". I love clothes, just like any other girl, but recently I have not gave two shits how I look.

More than anything, I like to be comfortable.

So me being me, I settled for plain skinny jeans and a white cropped hoodie. It was a step up from sweatpants though so I felt good about it.

I spent forty five minutes curling my hair, and it still didn't look perfect. But it was something different from my natural waves, since I'm usually too lazy to do anything else.

"Shay? Your going to school right?" I hear Wen's voice outside the door. I go over and open the door smiling.

"Yup." I say popping the p. She smiles and walks in.

"Don't you look cute?" she says touching my hair. I just smile. "You look like your in a good mood." she says observing my behaviour.

"Guess I am." I say nodding. She smiles.

"Well, I am sorry to tell you that the court hearing is at four. But listen-" she says putting her hand in mine comfortingly. "don't let that ruin your day okay? This afternoon, you'll be right back in this room and next week is when the decide. But everything will work itself out." she says pulling me into a hug. I sigh and nod. "Ryder already left because you took to damn long so I'll drive you'd like." she says playfully. I nod and laugh, getting my stuff.

-

-

-

I shut the door to Wen's car and start walking towards the brick building. First period has already started meaning I'll probably get a detention. And since I can't stay after school, ill have two detentions because that's considered "skipping". I pull open the glass doors and walk into the empty hallways. Needing to go to my locker first, I turn the corner to the hallway its on. But a hard chest stops when I stupidly run into them.

"Im so sorry-" I apologize looking at the guy I've haven't seen before. He smiles at me.

"No its my fault." he says running a hand through his brown hair only to have it fall right back over his eyes. "I'm Justin." his hand goes out and I chuckle. Who even shakes hands anymore?

"Shay." I say taking his much larger hand. He smiles and I awkwardly let go of his hand.

"Um today is my first day-" he starts. That's why I didn't know him.

"And you want me to show you around?" I say with my eyebrows raised. He laughs and nods. I see his schedule in his hands and I take it from him. "Looks like we have the same first period." I say handing it back to him.