Stay Away From My Mom, Tobin

| Kelley |

After Alex finally answered her phone, she went to her room, I'm assuming to get ready for the day. On the other hand, I need coffee! I walk into the kitchen to see Tobin wearing what she wore yesterday before the game and it hits me.

"Did you get laid last night?!" I yell at her, not in an angry way - yet. That all depends on her answer.

"Huh?"

"You're wearing what you wore yesterday."

"Oh. No, I didn't?"

"Are you asking me or telling me?"

"I'm telling you. I crashed on the couch in her hotel room, nothing happened, not that it's any of your business." She adds, sipping her coffee with tired eyes.

"Do you like her?"

"She's cool, yeah I like her." She answers and I can tell there's more to it but before I ask, Alex and Cody walk into the room and the tension rises. It's obvious they heard what was said, and while Alex doesn't seem bothered, even though I know she is, Cody is much more straightforward with her feelings.

"Damn Tobin. I never took you for the type to put out feelers on two different women. I hope ya'll are happy together. Now, keep your lovey dovey eyes off of my mom."

"Cody!" I scold her, noticing Alex is trying her hardest to ignore the conversation, whether that's because it's Tobin we're talking about, or if it's maybe something to do with that phone call she got earlier, I can't be sure. I watch Cody walk up to her mom, asking if shes ready to which Alex nods, and she grabs her moms hand pulling her out of the kitchen.

| Cody |

"Okay, I'll see you later okay baby?"

"Sure mom, I'll see you soon. Drive safe, love you." I kiss her on the cheek as I lean through the window, a kiss which she reciprocates.

"I love you too, sweetie."

I walk to the restaurant with Jack and we scan the booths as we look for Tara and Sophia. We all decided that it would be better to have a lunch date than a dinner date, with their schedule, they need to get back to their own colleges in a day or so.

When we spot them in near the back, Jack and I slide in next to our dates.
Jack seems to instantly click with Sophia, and I'm happy that my best friend has found someone that can put a genuine smile on her face. I only want to see her happy.

Tara and I, though? Not so instant.

"So, why did you not tell us Alex was your mom?" she asks me, and I can see Jack and Sophia looking at us from the corner of my eye.

"I..uh.." I sigh, thinking about what to say, how to say it and how much of my relationship with Alex I want to talk about. "I was seperated from my mom, and only just found her again. I wanted to get to know her before I let everyone know, but...that's clearly out the window." Tara instantly nods, as if she understands. She can't though because I haven't told her everything, but I am grateful that she isn't badgering me with questions about Alex.

Tara and I eventually get along great, but it's nothing like Jack and Sophia who are making out intensely across from us in the booth. We glance at each other a few times before we break out in laughter, forcing the liplocking duo apart, and they glare at us for interrupting them.

"Sorry. It's just, that escalated quickly." I say and see Tara nod.

"We actually should get going, we have to pack the rest of our things before we fly back home, Soph." Tara adds in, and Sophia nods, as we all walk out of the restaurant together, waiting with the two players for their Uber to arrive. When it does, I hug them both goodbye, making hurling sounds with Tara as our best friends start to kiss again, only to get smacked on the back of the head by Jack when they're done. We wave goodbye to the girls before we climb into Jack's car, driving home.

| Kelley |

I'm with Kling and Pinoe, making a list of people who we can set Alex up with. We all pretty much agree she needs some loving in her life, the only problem is we're not quite sure what her type is, does she prefer girls, guys?

"Oh, yeah. She's hot!" Kling says as Pinoe adds a name to the list that I can't see, but I watch as Tobin stands from her seat all of a sudden, and walks out of the room.

"I smell jealousy." I nod in agreement with Pinoe.

We all leave the kitchen after a little time, to see Tobin walking down the stairs towards the front door, bags in hand.

"Um. What's going on Tobin? You can move on but Alex can't?"

"There's nothing to move on from Kling. But I have to go back to Portland, regardless of why you think I'm leaving."

"Are you gonna talk to Alex?" I ask Tobin, who doesn't hesitate to say 'no'.

"Are you going to say goodbye to Cody?" I ask, watching her freeze, so I continue, "You know you're her idol, that kid loves you, Tobin."

"Yeah, she practically looks at you like you're her other mother." Pinoe lets slip and I glare at her, making her mumble a small 'sorry'. But it's too late, Tobin already heard her, she turns around, opening her mouth to speak.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"Geez, someone's desperate to get in." Kling says, pausing briefly, "Ignore how that sounds." We all laugh at her, happy she lightened the tension in the room.

I walk to the front door, opening it with a smile on my face. A smile that disappears instantly when I see who is standing infront of me.

I see little Kristie Mewis, shaking to her core, tears streaming down her face. It takes me a minute to jump into action, wrapping an arm around her waist, guiding her inside the house, passed Tobin and to the couch.

"What's wrong Mewis?" I hear Pinoe ask the question I know we're all thinking and it takes a few minutes for her to compose herself, but when she speaks, what she says makes my blood boil.

"H-he cheated on me. I-I walked in to see h-him on top of s-some girl."

We spend the next thirty minutes trying to calm her down, or cheer her up, pretty much whatever one worked fastest, turns out it was neither of them.

We hear keys in the door and as soon as Jack and Cody enter the house they see Kristie, and Cody rushes over, skidding to a stop infront of Mewis.

"Krissy what's wrong?!" I can't help but smile at her nickname for Mewis, it's obvious Cody really cares for her. 

Mewis however, is still too upset to speak, so I answer for her, telling Cody about her cheating ex, but smiling again when I see Kristie pulling Cody in for a hug, holding onto her for dear life, and Cody hugs her back just as tight. I nudge Tobin, who looks at me with an eyebrow raised.

"They look at each other with so much love already, it's adorable." I watch as Tobin glances at the two, and turns back to me nodding with a small smile on her lips, so I continue. "It's the exact same way you and Alex look at each other." She doesn't say anything, but she walks away, and I'm sure I've done it now. But I'm relieved when I see her pick up her bags and takes them back upstairs.

Tobin obviously didn't unpack as she comes down the steps a few minutes later, but at the same time Alex walks into the house, crying. She pushes her way through Tobin, and obviously rushing to her bedroom. I notice we all give Tobin a look that says 'go check on her' but she doesn't move. She looks to Cody, who nods, obviously wanting someone to check on her mom, and Tobin turns and jogs upstairs to Alex's room.

| Tobin |

I can do this, it's just Alex. Come on Heath!

I give myself a small pep talk, knowing things have been awkward since I spent the night on the couch in Press's hotel room. Nothing happened, but I'm not wasting my breath trying to convince people. Alex needs someone and I'm here for her. I don't bother knocking, I don't want to hear her tell me to fuck off. I open the door and walk in, to see her curled up in a ball on her bed, crying her eyes out and the sight breaks my heart.
I climb onto the bed, sitting beside her, not touching her yet.

"What's wrong Lex?"

It takes a few minutes, a few more sniffles and some more sobbing before she sits up, wipes her eyes and looks me in the eyes.

"They're thinking about letting him have custody of Cody. They say I travel too much, and he's more 'stable'."

"Actually, I do have an idea that would help with that." I watch her look to me with hopeful eyes and I spend the next twenty minutes explaining my thought to Alex, who was more than on board with it.

"Will she agree to it though?"

"I doubt she'll say no. She loves Cody. We all do, and you both deserve to be happy. You both deserve each other"

She doesn't say anything back, it's as if she's lost in my eyes, and I understand because I feel the same right now. I get lost in her eyes a lot, but not when she's vulnerable, upset and on a bed. I panic slightly when I see her lean closer, but I ask myself if this is what I want, and I don't even take a second to think, I know it is.

I get a surge of adrenaline when I feel her lips on mine, her arms wrapping around my neck to pull me closer, and I help her as she leans back on the bed. The kiss quickly heats up, from years of bottled up passion but before it can get any further the bedroom door bursts open and we jump apart, out attention snapping to the door to see Kelley standing there, wide eyed. But not for long. She squeals, jumping up and down in the air like a child as she screams for Cody, obviously to tell her what she just walked in on, and Alex and I can't help but laugh at our teammate.

I notice Alex doesn't leave the bed, so I wrap my arms around her, letting her rest her head on my chest and I play with her hair, hoping to calm her down enough to fall asleep, and I smile to myself when it works.