Confrontation Pt II

| Cody |

Sitting across from the man whose own despicable acts brought me life, my mind runs away from my control, going back to the conversation I had with Joanna yesterday.

FLASHBACK

"Okay, she's gone, now tell me why?" I face my bully, who demanded to speak with me alone, without the prying ears of Kristie.

"You don't know how lucky you have it, do you, Cody?" Her question is answered with a displeasing expression on my face. She's kidding, right?  "I am jealous, but not for any reason you think."

"Then why?"

"We have something in common, Cody." I scoff at her, deciding that she's definitely lost her mind.

"Just tell me why you put that shit in my water!" My voice rises as my patience thins.

"It's not because Alex Morgan is your mother. It's not because you live with Hope Solo, and it's not because you seem to be dating Kristie Mewis-"

"We're not dating." I cut in, correcting her although I immediately regret it as I realize - I don't care if she gets her facts wrong.

"It's what we have in common that I'm jealous of."

"And what is that? Why not just spit it out instead of beating around the bush."

"Our dad."

"Wait...'our' dad?"

"That's what I said. See when the media found out about you, dad came out and told the world that you're his. I didn't even know he had another kid, he never spoke about you before. All of a sudden it's Cody this and Cody that, he wouldn't even acknowledge me-"

"Your dad is a fucking creep. I want nothing to do with him. Or you for that matter."

Refusing to listen to anymore of her lies, I leave, trying to find Kristie. I need to relieve some of this stress and anger.

END OF FLASHBACK.

"You have no idea how long I've waited to hear you say that. To hear those words come out of your mouth." He sighs, dreamily.

"Don't get used to it." I grit out in response, rolling my eyes. "I just want to know one thing. Is Joanna my half sister?"

"Yes, she's your sister." My heart sinks into my stomach as he confirms my worst nightmare.

"Half  sister." I add emphasis, making it very clear that she's related to me through circumstance and not because I have any kind of sisterly love for her. She chose to make my life a living hell, she chose to beat me to the ground and kick me when I was down. To spit on me and taunt me at my lowest moments - she chose to do that. Moving to leave, only to be stopped when he places a hand on my wrist, I flinch away and he retracts, apologizing softly.

"Don't you want to know why you ended up seperated from Alex?"

"Don't even mention her name." I sigh when he doesn't even move, I settle back into my seat. "Go ahead then, explain."

| Jack |

I watch my best friend intently as the man across the small table from her puts his hand on her. It takes all of my willpower to stay in my spot, to keep watch only. I know how uncomfortable my friend gets around men. The only man she can tolerate is her grandpa, and from what she told me, even that relationship took a while to establish a certain level of comfort.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, still on silent from when I was in class, and I remove the device from my pocket. I read the text from my best friend's mom, my eyes almost bulging out of my skull.

Alex 🐎 - Get her out of there, that's her dad!

Stuffing my phone in my pocket, I lift my head, looking for my best friend. I don't see her. The man she was with is still at the table, but all traces of Cody are gone. Taking a second to think my next move through, I take a deep breath.

I decide to go back to school, hoping that I just didn't see Cody leave, which I obviously didn't, but all of my positive thinking is being put into hoping that she's where she's supposed to be and not missing.

Getting back to school, I all but sprint through the halls, being scolded by teachers as I go, but not once did I reduce my speed. Not for the teachers and not for the students I collided with along the way.

I search every classroom, the cafeteria, the gym, the toilets, everywhere but I still don't find her! I ignore the ringing of the bell, telling me to get back to class, and I take my phone back out of my pocket.

"Damn it, Maxi." I grumble to myself, hating that I'm torn between my loyalty to my best friend and my promise to always keep her secrets and have her back, and my need to want to know she's safe. "Fuck it." I scroll my contacts, not having to go throught very many before I find Alex, and I call her to let her know that I have no idea where Cody is.

| Hope |

We're all at home having lunch, Jeni, Jeri and Tobin preparing everything while Kelley is pouring drinks for everyone when Alex's phone starts to ring. She's only on the phone for mere seconds when the atmosphere in the room shifts dramatically.

"What do you mean you can't find her?!"

Alex screeches down the receiver, gaining the attention of The Aunts, Tobin, Kelley and I. Nobody looks away as the mother begins to pace the length of the kitchen, when she begins to stutter and her breathing becomes ragged and forced, I take the phone from her while Tobin and her sisters try and calm her.

"Hello?" I speak, not knowing exactly who she's talking to.

"Mom?"

"Jack?" The mention of my daughter gains Kelley's attention and she's by my side in seconds. "What's going on?"

"I can't find Cody!-"

"Jack, breathe. You don't have to yell."

"Sorry...but I can't find her. She was at this diner with some dude when Alex texted me. I looked at my phone for a minute and when I looked back up, she was gone. I came back to school to see if she came here, but she's not here. I have no idea where she could be!"

"Right. Go back to class-"

"No, not without Cody!"

"Jack." I speak sternly, letting her know that I'm beyond serious. "Get to class. I don't want a phone call from your school telling me that you didn't show up. While you're there, we'll be looking for Cody."

I end the call with my daughter, giving my friend back her phone. She takes it, standing as she heard me telling Jack that we'll be looking for Cody, she now has a determined glint in her eye, one that rivals her game face on the field.

We leave our house after everyone grabbed their phones, and put their shoes on. Walking to the cars that have gathered in the driveway, Jeni speaks up for the first time since Alex had her minor breakdown.

"Anyone have any idea where she could be?"

Noticing that nobody really knows where Cody would run off to, we all share a defeated glance and decide to split off into pairs to look for the teen. Alex and Tobin, 'The Aunts' and Kelley and I.

I just hope we find her before something bad happens.

ᴍʏ ᴍᴏᴍ ɪs ᴡʜᴏ?    ✔︎On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara