Consequences

| Cody |

"Did you know?" I hear Ellie ask through the phone. I play dumb, even though I know exactly what she means.

"Know what?"

"Oh, God. You did know!"

"Look, Els." I sigh out, knowing I have to do this but I don't want to. "Yes, I knew, okay? But I wasn't gonna say anything because I wanted her to tell you."

"Is that why you hung up on me during the party and didn't call me back?"

"Um..." Is my reply. My mind refusing to think up even a single word to utter.

"Fuck you too, Cody. I thought you were my friend!"

"Ellie-" I start, but she hangs up. I frown at my phone, wishing that I wasn't put in the middle of Jack and Ellie's relationship problems. "Damn it."

"You okay, kid?" I jump, not expecting any voices, but glad that Hope is here for me to talk to.

"No. Now Ellie is pissed at me." I pout childishly, as Hope sits next to me on the couch. I internally smile as she wraps an arm around me and pulls me into a side hug. I miss my mom, but she's not answering my calls - I know she's waiting until we leave to Houston to unleash her anger on me, so I'm glad Hope is here to take the reigns and fill that spot.

"Give her time. She's still raw about what Jack did, she'll mellow out then realize that you did nothing wrong."

"Maybe I did. Should I have told her the second I seen Jack making out with that girl? I feel responsible-"

"It's not your fault, it's mine."

Hope and I look up to see Jack standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking uncomfortable. Things have been pretty awkward since the party, between myself and Jack, and Hope and Jack.

Jack and I watch as Hope silently stands, walks to Jack and envelops her in a hug, which I can see Jack needed. I smile slightly as I see Jack hug her back, before Hope walks away and leaves us alone.

"Hey."

"Hi." I reply, breaking eye contact and looking at my feet. "Sup?"

"Look at me, Maxi." So I do, and I see that my best friend is close to tears.

I do what my heart tells me to do, I stand and walk to my best friend and hug her tight, letting her cry on my shoulder.

| Alex |

"How is she?" I ask Hope, holding my phone to my ear as I throw a ball for Blue to chase. I give my friend my full attention as I walk along the beach, watching Blue as he searches for the ball.

"She's okay. Trouble with Ellie and Jack but she's doing well. She's not wondering why you're ignoring her calls, I think she knows you're waiting for Texas."

"I know." I groan as I run my hand down my face. "I hate not talking to her, but I know that I'll just yell at her over the phone. I want to see her face, make sure she actually listens to what I'm telling her."

"Yeah, I get it, and so will she."

"How's Jack?"

"She's...okay." I hear my ex teammate sigh over the phone before she takes a deep breath. "I think it's her first real break up. From what Cody told me, she was the hit it and quit it type, not sure how I feel about that, but I hate that she's in pain."

"It's kind of her own fault."

"I know, and she knows that, too. How are you and Tobin?"

"We're good." I smile, not even meaning to. "She's catching a flight out to Houston, said she misses Cody."

"Everyone misses her when she's not there. I still get texts from Kling asking about her." I laugh along with Hope, knowing it's true because Kling still texts me.

"How are things with you and Kelley?"

"They're fine, she's mad at Jack but she's a teenager, those years are for making mistakes. Jack hates when Kelley is mad at her, she gets shy and awkward, like she doesn't know what to say. It's like she's a completely different kid."

"That's cute, they're like a family."

"They are. Just like Cody and Tobin."

"Yeah, they are."

"Yuck, I can practically hear you smiling, so that's my cue to hang up. I'll see you in Texas, good luck!"

"Thanks Hope, see you soon."

I hang up, put my phone back in my pocket and throw the ball again for Blue. We both love the beach, but then again, Blue loves anywhere he can stretch his legs and run wild. Whenever I get the chace to walk along the beach I always picture bringing Cody here with me, especially when I have Blue.

Flashback.

"Are you okay, kid?" Jeri asks as she flanks Cody's right side while I walk on the left.

"Yeah, yeah..."

"What's wrong, baby?" I stop walking, stopping the other two also. My daughter's head drops and I respond by lifting it slowly with two fingers under her chin.

"I've never been on a beach before." She mumbles, and her insecurities are adorable to me.

"You'll love it". I tell her, and nod when she looks at me uncertain.

"Listen to you mother. C'mon, Mini Alex." Jeri drags Cody onto the beach and I watch from behind them as my daughter takes her first steps on sand.

"I haven't seen you smile like that in a long, long time."

"I know, mom. I haven't had a reason to." I turn my attention from my mom back to Cody, to see that she's now chasing Blue along the beach. She's laughing, with the worlds biggest smile on her face, as Blue barks alongside her.

"Dude, you're just standing there, smiling like a freak."

"Ash, leave her alone. She's thinking about Cody." Ali scolds our goalkeeper, but both my attention and Ash's turn to Ali in complete confusion.

"How could you possibly know that?"

"You make the same face whenever you talk to her, talk about her. And I've seen that expression." She points her finger in my face before turning it back to her own face "On this face, too. I love that kid."

I smile at my teammate, happy that she cares for her. I know I made the right choice in choosing a second guardian for my daughter.

"Are you ready for Texas?" Ash asks both Ali and I.

"Yeah, I'm happy I get to bring Blue this time. The only other person I trust to watch him isn't in town."

"He'll be our mascot." Ali adds her input. "Anyway, we'll leave you to it, Alex. We'll see you in a few hours for our flight to Houston."

"Bye guys."

I get Blue and walk back to my house to get the rest of my packing done, which isn't much but I don't want to wait any longer. I miss my daughter.