Ellie To The Rescue

| Jack |

Cody and I arrive at the respectable family home that's hosting this not-so-respectable party. It's the typical high school party, teenagers acting like adults, getting so drunk they can barely stand, beer games on any available surface, and body shots galore.

I take my best friends hand and lead her to the kitchen, grabbing us both an unopened beer each, and handing hers off to her. I see the girl I'm here for, dancing with her friends in the limited space that has been created for a makeshift dancefloor. When she waves me over I check on Cody, turning to see that she's already talking up a storm with a girl who looks familiar but I'm not sure where from. I tap my friend on the shoulder, letting her know where I'll be if she needs me.

| Cody |

"Excuse me?" I turn from my best friend as she looks for the girl she has a crush on, turning to see a girl who can't be more than two years older than I am. "Are you Alex's kid?"

Oh, great. I visibly cringe, and I'm about to leave the girl standing there when she grabs my arm gently.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I've just heard a lot about you from a teammate of mine." She defends herself, and that's when I really look to at her face, she looks familiar.

"Your teammate?"

"Tobin."

And it clicks.

"Shit. You're Ellie Carpenter." I blurt out, so classy. Thankfully she laughs it off.

"I am."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"I'm wingwoman, but apparently I'm not needed." She nods in the direction of her friend who is making out with a guy in the corner of the room. "Plus I wasn't called up to the Australia team this time. What are you doing here?"

" Same, actually." I point to Jack who's dancing with the girl she came here for.

Ellie and I decide to go into the backyard since things were getting crowded, and rowdy with the hormonal drunk teens.

"So, Tobin talks about me?" I ask her, raising an eyebrow in amusement.

"She does. She says you're sick on the field. I'd love to see that one day."

We spend the next hour getting to know each other, although I could listen to her talk for days, that accent is amazing.

"I'm gonna get a water, do you want anything?" I ask her as I stand up, heading to the door.

"No, I'm good, thanks."

I leave her, fully intent on returning to her. I grab a bottle of water - unopened, I'm keeping my promise to my mom to be careful, that is until someone I can't see, grabs my arm and drags me backwards into a bedroom. I fight them off, pushing the culprit away, only to see Joanna standing infront of me, clearly absolutely wasted.

"What the fuck, Jo?!"

"Shut the fuck up. I'm tired of you walking around like you're royalty!"

She's persistent in her attempts to hit me, swinging aimlessly in her drunken state until she manages to grab me and shove me up against the wall, which is when I freeze, getting a flashback to the monster who raised me. Right now, I don't see Jo, I see him, and it makes me sick.

"Stop it! Leave me the fuck alone!" Is all I manage to yell at her, barely able to raise my hand to push her away when the door flies open, and I expect it to be Jack, but I'm still equally relieved when I see it's Ellie.