State Championship Pt 1

| Kristie |

It's been a while since I've heard from Cody. I miss her, even if it's just her asking how I am. I know she's not talking to me because I hurt her. Nobody lets me forget it, I understand that because of Cody's past that everyone is over-protective of her, I am too. But I just wish people would understand why I had to do what I did, it wasn't because I didn't care about her, because I do.

I end up on Instagram, scrolling through my teammates pages when, at some point down the wormhole, I end up on Ellie's page.

I close my phone, throwing it on the floor in frustration, simultaneously waking Rachel who was sleeping peacefully next to me

I close my phone, throwing it on the floor in frustration, simultaneously waking Rachel who was sleeping peacefully next to me. I look at her, wishing she was Cody instead.

| Cody |

Once Jack, Hope, Ali and I get back to Idaho, I slump in my bed, exhausted from the drive back from Arizona. The joys of not having a passport, I'm still waiting to change my last name.

I don't want to sleep though, the truth is I'm terrified that my nightmares will come back. I didn't have one whilst I was in Arizona, but I'm guessing that's because I ended up in my mom's room because I missed her so much.

I wait until I don't hear any noise coming from the rest of the house, before I slip my Nike's back on, grabbing my jacket before I sneak out, heading to the convenience store for another bottle. It's the good thing about living in a small town, everyone knows everyone, which means that if you go to the right places, you'll find the people who just don't care who you are or how old you are.

"Hey Cody, the usual?"

"Yeah, thanks Jim." I greet the owner of the shady convenience store, one of those people who don't give a fuck about your age, anything for the few bucks you throw his way. I take the two bottles of vodka he slides across the counter, one into my bag the other in my jacket pocket, zipping my bag closed. I pull my jacket and bag closer to my body as I make my way back home, occasionally taking a few sips on my short walk home.

Quiet as possible, I slide my keys into the lock, opening the door and stepping into the dark hallway. I lock the door behind me, heading towards the stairs when the light flicks on and I freeze, for a second I expect to see my 'dad' when I turn around, but I sigh in relief when I see Ali standing by the door, arms crossed over her chest, a look of anger on her face.

"What the hell are you doing out at this time?"

"I needed some fresh air."

"Then open a window. What were you really doing?" She shuts me down, forcing me to think of another lie and fast, knowing I don't want to tell her the truth because she'll tell my mom in a heartbeat.

"I was...I was thirsty, so I went out to get a soda, and I was drinking it on my way home which is why I don't have the can anymore." I internally facepalm, knowing how fucking pathetic that was, but the alcohol in my system makes me seem to not care right now.