Inked By Autumn

| Jeri |

"I miss Cody." I whine from the passenger seat as Alex drives us to the airport to get Jeni.

"We only dropped her off 10 minutes ago."

"I still miss her." I sigh, almost dramatically. "Where was she going anyway?"

"To see Kristie." Alex tells me, making me groan. I can tell by the way my sister laughs that she knows I'm rolling my eyes.

[ Two Days Ago ]

"What are your intentions with my niece?"

"Aunt Je-"

"No. Cody. I'm asking your girlfriend."

"I'm not her girlfriend." Kristie decides to speak up.

"So you're just playing with her feelings? Bitch, stand up so I can kick your ass."

"Okay, calm down Jer, Kristie isn't that bad." Alex tries to use her stern voice, but it cracks, and a hint of amusement shines through.

"I'm looking out for your daughter!"

"I am too, trust me, but she needs space to grow. She's 17 soon."

"Exactly! I'm watching you, Cody." I narrow my eyes at my niece, who honestly looks like she pissed herself. "No funny business!"

"Oh, my God." Cody mumbles, her head falling into her hands as Jack laughs up a storm.

"Well, you're a bit late with that  talk." Her best friend cuts in, Alex and I eye Cody, waiting for any hint of a lie.

"She's lying!" My niece squeals, as Kristie's face goes red. The room falls silent as Alex walks towards the pair, her face stoic as she hovers over them.

"She better be." My sister says, before she turns and leaves.

"Yeah. She better be!" I point my finger at Kristie, deciding if I can scare her now then she'll think twice about using my niece.

[ Present time ]

"I don't like her."

"You don't know he.r" Alex counters.

"Do you? I mean, really? Do you trust her with Cody?" I watch my sister closely, waiting for her to answer.

"I do trust her. I know she hurt Cody, but she does care about her. I need you to get off their case, just a little." I don't verbally answer, I just exhale dramatically. "I'll take that as an 'okay'. Thanks, Jeri."

| Cody |

"Are you sure about this?" Kristie asks me, as we stand outside the boring building.

"I'm sure and nobody else would bring me here."

"Did you ask anyone else? Like Jack?"

"No, and definitely not Jack. She would tell Alex." I watch as Kristie sends me an unimpressed glance. "I need to do this, Krissy."

She sighs, but nods and we make our way into the station to be greeted at the reception desk but a young man in uniform.

"Hello. How can I help you?"

"Hi. Uh, I called yesterday about a visit?"

"Name?"

I tell the young officer my name, and sit in the waiting room when instructed to do so. We wait for 15 minutes until a suited detective approaches.

"Cody Morgan?"

"Yeah."

"Follow me."

I take Kristie's hand as I walk through the maze of hallways, happy when she doesn't pull away. I need the support right now. We get to the last barred door, when he unlocks it, letting Kristie and I walk through and he follows us before locking the door behind him.