Mama #2

"I can breathe,
Watch as I become
Who I'm meant to be"
- AK.

| Cody |

"But...I-I thought you were in Orlando?" I ask the defender as she stands smugly infront of me.

"I was, but since I'm injured I decided to take Alex up on her offer of living here with you until the season's over and she can come back."

I can't help the massive smile growing on my face, and I bring Ali in for a bone crushing hug, listening to her and my mom laughing at my excitement.

"I'm so sorry your injury is bad and your season is over but I'm happy you're here."

"I can see that." She laughs at me as Alex stands. "I'm happy I'm here too, I'm actually as excited as you are." She ruffles my hair.

"I'll let you two talk, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me, sweetie." Alex says, kissing me on the forehead, like she always does, as she leaves. I don't realize I'm smiling until Ali pipes up.

"I guess by the look of the giant smile on your face you two are getting along then." I look to the defender, smiling back at me and I only nod.

"Um, Ali. Not that I don't love having you here - I do! But is Ash with you by any chance?" I ask biting my lip, knowing its a very small chance.

"No, sorry Cody. Why?"

"I was just hoping for her help with something, I've been meaning to ask since I met her." I answer as vague as a corrupt banker in a meeting with the IRS.

"Help with what?"

I glance behind her, making sure nobody can hear, and I come clean to the Pro.

"I want a tattoo."

"Does Alex know?"

"No."

"Then, no."

"Why not?"

"She's your mother. If she's okay with it, I can take you somewhere to get it done, but you have to ask her."

"You're not going to ask why I want a tattoo?" I ask Ali, who stares at me so intently I'm sure she's reading my mind.

"No, but I can see it's important to you."

"What's important to her?" My mom interrupts, carrying a still-sleeping Kristie and laying her down in my bed. Ali makes eye contact with me, nodding her head towards my mom in a 'tell her' motion.

"I want a tattoo." I blurt out.

"You what?" My mom asks.

"I said, I want a tattoo. Before you say no, can I tell you why?" I ask, having the feeling Alex would just shut down the idea completely, surprisingly she nods. I take a breath, calming myself before I begin.

"I'm tired of looking at my body and seeing all the scars." I dive into the deep end, not beating around the bush and I see my mom give me a sad look. "I'm tired of always having to give myself a pep talk whenever I get flashbacks, I'm tired of looking at my body and seeing him, and what he did to me. I-"

"Stop. You can get a tattoo." I hear Alex say in a quiet voice and I look up to see her crying. She steps to me, engulfing me in a tight hug, which I give her back, looking over her shoulder to see Ali nod in my direction, flashing a smile at me.

The Next Day.

We're on our way to Mr. Atkins office. Mom told me his first name but I honestly don't give a shit. If he's making me spend a single minute with my 'father', he's just as bad as the man who wants to take me away from my mom, in my opinion.

He's been talking for twenty minutes straight, and I'm getting bored.

"You just have to sign here, Miss Krieger, and you'll be legally recognized as Miss Den-"

"Don't call me that!"

"It's your name Cody."

"Well, I want to change it." I state, matter of factly, seeing Alex fight off a smile from the corner of my eye.

"Okay, I can get that sorted for you. It'll just need approval from a judge."

Can this guy do anything without a judge?

"Cody!"

I look to see everyone looking at me...shit.

"Did I actually say that instead of thinking it?"

"Yes" I hear the strain in Ali's voice, like she's trying her best not to laugh.

When we get home, everyone's in the sitting room, standing as Kristie goes around hugging everyone, her bags at the door and it hits me - she's leaving.

"Hey Codes. Can we talk?"

I don't speak, I only follow her to my bedroom, ignoring the sympathetic looks I'm getting from everyone. When we get into my bedroom, she closes the door, blocking my escape from what I'm sure isn't going to be a pleasant talk, and blocking out the eavesdroppers - mostly Kelley.

"Please don't interrupt me, because I need to say this." I called it. "I like you Cody. A lot. Maybe too much." I hear her mumble as she looks at her feet. "But you're still only sixteen, you're just a kid, I can't...we can't go there. I hope you don't hate me for this, though I'll understand if you do...but Cody, you need to live your life. You're finally in a place where you can be free, and you need to find yourself before you date. You need to live. I do, too. I just want you to be happy, enjoy school, meet new people, go to college, then maybe in a few years we can revisit 'us'. And thank you, Cody. Thank you for being there for me, every single time I've needed someone you were always there." She finishes, tears streaming down her cheeks as she pulls me in for a hug. We stay like that for a while, I'm honestly not sure how long it is until she pulls away slightly, cupping my cheeks as she whispers another 'thank you', before she kisses me softly.