Captain

Dedicated to Itswooolf for inspiring me with her own stories and Sig_Liz for always coming back for more.

| Alex |

It's been two weeks since Cody and Jack got released from hospital and while both teens seem to be happier and in a better place, Hope and I are still pissed. Police told us that Joanna had admitted to dosing my daughter and Jack's water with painkillers and sleeping pills because she was 'jealous'.

She had bullied Cody for years, but when I came along she said people started to like Cody more and turn against her for being a bully. She hated that Cody and Jack were improving in their game, she thought it was unfair that they were getting pointers 'from pros', and she wasn't.

Oddly enough, she hadn't mentioned a word to police about my 'talk' with her, which genuinely surprised me.

Jack and Cody went back to school like nothing happened, nothing changed. Ellie stuck to Jack's side for a week before she eventually had to fly home to pack her stuff to fly back to Portland, and Kristie rented a place here so she can be close to Cody.

"Have you found out if anything is going on with them?" Jeri asks. She also refuses to go home, she's basically moved in at this point.

"Not yet. I'd rather be more subtle than you." I sip my coffee as I sit with my sister at the kitchen table. "She won't tell me anyway, she hates talking."

"She doesn't hate talking to Kristie." Jeri points out. I know she's right, Mewis seems to be the one person alive that my daughter wants to talk to all the time. "I mean, people don't rent apartments in a new town for no reason."

"Will you quit it?"

"What?"

"Your 'Inspector Jeri' routine?"

"No can do, ma'am. Someone has to solve the case!" She dusts off her imaginary badge, straightening her back. "Besides, Jeni's on her way here, and we both know that she can figure anything out."

"Why is she flying back out?"

"I don't know." She shrugs, completely ignoring the comparisons between her wanting to know everything about Kristie, and Jeni's situation which she could easily just ask about.

| Cody |

I can't wait for practice!

Ever since Jo get kicked out of school for the stunt she pulled, the team has been a lot happier, a lot friendlier. Even kids in the hallways seem more relaxed and sure of themselves.

Today is different, though. The girls and myself have a surprise for Jack. It's been driving her crazy because she knows I'm hiding something, and I'm not telling her a damn thing. Not sure what it says about my personality that I actually enjoy making my best friend squirm, but who cares?

With no Jo here, everyone is at ease.

"Well?" I raise my eyebrow at Jack and her one worded question, hoping that my lack of answer with force her to elaborate. I grin as she rolls her eyes at me, obviously caving in. "Well! Are you going to tell me what's going on with you and Mewis? Do I have to kick her ass?"

"No." I laugh at my over-protective friend. "You don't have to try and kick her ass. I'm sure she could take you-"

"Bitch, please." Jack rolls her eyes at me, cracking her knuckles. "I could whoop her ass."

"Calm down Rocky." I put my hands on her fists, lowering them as I laugh at her. "For your information, Krissy is staying in town before she has to leave for pre-season, she rented an apartment in town. We're not dating, we haven't even talked about it, and you'll be the second person to know about it if we were ever official."

"Woah. The hell? Why the second?"

"You've met Jeri, right?"

________

After classes end, I head to the locker room to find that Jack isn't here yet.

"Are we all set?" I ask the room full of girls who are getting ready for practice.

"Yep. All we need now is Jack." Emma, our 'keeper, tells me.

Jack eventually strolls in, her face down and staring at her phone screen. She has a huge smile on her face, leaving me to believe she's texting with Ellie. She looks up, noticing the room full of players all staring at her, and grinning.

"Um...hi?" She waves, clearly nervous. "Do I have something on my face?" She puts her phone in her pocket, her hands rising to her face to feel for any smudges.

"You're fine, Jack." I laugh, moving to stand next to her, I wrap my arm around her shoulders. "We have something for you."

Jack turns to face me, her face riddled with confusion but I don't speak. I turn her shoulders, forcing her to face Emma, who approaches us. She pulls the surprise from behind her back and holds it out to Jack, who stares at it.

"What is this?" She asks the entire room, but she doesn't receive an answer. I take the band from Emma, and face my best friend.

"It's so that the ref knows who our Captain is, duh." I wrap the armband around her bicep, patting it when it's on properly. "You deserve this, Jack. We all voted for you."

"Really?" She queries, staring at the band on her arm in awe. She's met with a chorus of 'yeahs'. She wipes her eyes before her tears can escape, and she pulls me in for the tightest hug she has ever given me.

"Are you okay?" I whisper in her ear, only to feel her nod against my shoulder. She pulls away a few seconds later.

"Okay then. Get out on the field and lets get started!"

On order of our new Captain, we all leave her in the locker room since she was the only one not ready. We wait for her on the field and when she arrives, we all applaud her as she walks out.

"Shut up." She grins, not failing to smack me on the back of the head.

| Jack |

After practice, I climb into my car and wait. It only takes a few seconds before Cody slides into the passenger seat next to me.

"You seem happy."

"I am. That was a nice surprise." I glance at Cody, she's already looking at me. "Thank you." 

"You don't need to thank me, or anyone else on the team. Jack, you deserve this. Even before Jo got herself kicked out of school, you were the leader on the field. You were the one that we all looked to. You're the one that everybody relies on. I've always been able to depend on you. Don't doubt yourself with this, Jack. You're definitely our Captain."

"I'm still saying thanks." I inform her, relieved when she only laughs and turns on the radio. We fall into a relaxing silence as I drive us home.

_____________

I pull up to the house that very quickly became home to my best friend and I. I follow Cody out of the car and up the steps into the house. It's the norm now that it's filled with laughter and playful yelling, but right now it's quiet.

I share a glance with Cody who looks equally as confused. Shrugging, I walk further into our house to see Hope and Alex looking like they're trying their hardest not to laugh and then I see why. Jeri, standing over Kristie, who looks more uncomfortable than intimidated.

"Oh no." Cody mumbles from beside me. "Not again."

"Hi mom." I enter gleefully, already loving this situation because I know my best friend is hating it.

"Hi Jack." Hope stands to hug me, kissing the top of my head. "What's got you so happy?"

"You're looking at our new Captain." Cody cuts in, not taking her eyes off of Jeri, who is still watching Kristie.

"That's great!"

"Congratulations, Jack.", Alex adds, it's obvious from her tone of voice that she's close to laughing.

"What's going on?" Cody asks as she takes the empty seat next to Kristie. I sit with Hope and Alex, as we prepare to watch the show.