Birthday

| Cody |

"WAKE UP, BITCH!!!" I hear first thing in the morning but I don't respond, I groan and pull my blanket over my head in a feeble attempt to hide from the world. "I don't think so, Maxi. It's your birthday, get up!" I ignore my so-called 'best friend' to the best of my abilities as she begins to jump on my bed until I feel another body joining her.

"Get up, Cody!" Jeri yells, effectively chasing all remnants of sleep from my system.

"No, go away. Wake me up tomorrow."

I met with multiple chuckles, obviously assuming that I'm only joking, but I'm not. My birthday has never been a happy event in my life, and if I'm being honest I've been dreading it since Alex showed up in my life. As bad as it sounds, it's the truth.

"Bitch, wake up!" Jack playfully kicks me. "Ouch! That was uncalled for."

"Language." I hear Hope scold her, after what I assume was a slap to the head, making me chuckle.

"I know you're awake!" Jeri yells as she throws her body next to me on my bed, pulling my blankets away.

Finally peeling my eyes open, I smile at my crazy aunt and glance around my bedroom to see my best friend rubbing the back of her head and Hope standing next to her but they're not who I'm looking for. I see my mom leaning against my doorframe, arms crossed over her chest, a gentle smile on her face.

I kick my aunt off my bed, chuckling when she lands with a THUMP. I climb out of my bed, slapping Jack on the head as I pass her, ignoring her complaints and head towards my mom.

"Happy birthday, baby girl."

I try my best to push away all my memories of my previous birthdays and focus on now. I'm surrounded by family, my real family and I can't cling on to past no matter how hard it tries to replay in my mind. I simply smile at my mom, and hug her when she motions for me to do so.

"I love you, Cody." She whispers in my ear, making me grin like The Joker who thinks he's just killed Batman.

"I love you too, mom." I whisper back, and she squeezes me tighter. I revel in the feeling of safety she emits from a single embrace, only for the moment to be ruined.

"Yeah. I love you too." Jack mumbles and when I pull away from my mom and look at my best friend, she's rolling her eyes at me.

To make her happy, I run at her, laughing at the stunned and scared look on her face and I collide with my best friend. I hug her tighter than I hugged my mom, Jack has always been there for me, no matter what I've been through, she was always the one that would have my back - even if I was in the wrong.

"Get dressed, you stink. Then we'll have breakfast and presents!" Jeri squeals, making us all laugh as she runs out of the room. "Yes! Pancakes!" We hear her yell from the kitchen.

Everyone else eventually shuffles out of my bedroom and I proceed with my morning routine, getting a shower and brushing my teeth before throwing on some clothes. I sit on my bed as I put on my Nike's and stay there, my elbows on my knees, when I've finished.

"You okay, kid?"

Lifting my head, I smile when I see Ali. I give her a small nod, wanting to lie to her so that she doesn't worry and that I don't have to go through all my memories again, but they're a constant reminder of how messed up my life has been and right now, I'd love to just hit pause and take a breath.

Ali obviously doesn't believe me as she ventures over the threshold and enters my room. She sits beside me on my bed, placing an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into a side hug.

"You're a terrible liar. I'm guessing that runs in your family, Alex has the worst poker face." I chuckle quietly as she studies my profile as I refuse to look at her. I continue to start at the floor. "What's wrong?" She asks, and I serious consider just telling her everything.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just..." I trail off into nothing but a sigh.

"Just what, Cody?" Mom asks from the doorway. I didn't even notice she was there, but I guess that's what happens when you stare at your feet, and she too sits on my bed, but the opposite side to me than Ali and I'm sandwiched between my two moms, since Ali's name is on my paperwork. I lean my head on Alex's shoulder while Ali's arm remains around me.

"I'm not used to this. To people caring, wanting to spend time with me, especially on my birthday."

"We're always gonna be here, kid." Ali starts, only for Alex to finish her sentence.

"Whether you like it or not. I love you, we love you and everyone here cares about you."

They both wrap their arms around me and I'm engulfed in a small group hug with my mom and the woman that took care of me while my mom was finishing last season in Orlando. I involuntarily sigh in content, possibly for the first time in my life, and I let myself simmer in the feelings of love and safety that these two women bring.

"Aww, that's cute." Ashlyn rudely interrupts our moment as she stands by the door beside Hope.

"It is but come on, get your ass downstairs, birthday girl. Your best friend is driving everyone nuts." Hope instructs and I chuckle, knowing it to be true. Jack can drive anyone crazy in a short amount of time, especially paired up with Jeri, who seems to act like my best friend's long lost twin - A.K.A, just plain crazy.

_________