Life or Death

| Hope |

Holding Jack's hand, I notice how cold it is, how frail she looks. I haven't seen her looking this vulnerable since her mom died. It feels like years ago now. I also notice how small she looks in this hospital bed, how pale she looks.

"Babe, when was the last time you ate, slept?" Kelley asks as she takes my hand in hers.

"I don't even know." I admit, looking across the room to see Alex clutching onto Cody's hand, both asleep. Doctors thought it would be easier to have both teens in one room, considering the amount of visitors that they've been getting the last few days. We still don't really know what's going on, and it's starting to piss me off.

"Come on, you need to eat-"

She's cut off by the door being opened, and in rushes Ellie, who gasps when she sees both girls in beds, hooked up to equipment. Noticing that Cody and Alex are sleeping, Alex's head resting on Cody's legs, Ellie leaves them in peace, deciding to approach Jack.

"Oh my god..." she breathes out, taking my daughter's other hand in hers. I don't fail to notice her eyes - teary and full of love when she looks at my daughter. "What happened?"

"We still don't know. They're running more tests, said we should know later today."

"We'll give you some privacy." Kelley tells the Aussie as she basically drags me out of the room and to the cafeteria.

| Alex |

I haven't moved from my daughter's side in days now, she drifts in and out of consciousness and it's terrifying me. Jack on the other hand, hasn't woken at all and I can see that it's tearing Hope to pieces, despite how strong she's trying to be.

"Miss Morgan, Miss Solo?" The Doctor calls us from the door that I didn't hear opening and he motions for us to follow him.

"Can you stay with her?" I ask Tobin when I see she stands as I do.

"Of course, Lex." She kisses my forehead, then ushers me to follow the doctor. I look back before I leave to see Tobin squeezing Cody's hand, her thumb brushing over my daughter's knuckles.

Approaching the Doctor, I see Hope and Kelley, all three waiting for me.

"It's good news, we finally isolated the drugs in your daughter's systems-"

"Woah. Hold up. What drugs?" Hope asks, her eyes darkening in anger.

"There was quite a few, Ambien, Vicodin, Percocet-"

The mention of the drug my daughter was hooked on makes my stomach drop, and I feel nauseous as Hope turns to me. Nostrils flared in anger.

"This is all Cody's fault!"

"How can you say that, she's in there right next to Jack!"

"You heard what he said! Percocet, Alex. Who do we know that likes that?"

"You know Cody wouldn't do anything  to hurt Jack. You know that!" I yell at my friend, emotion getting the better of both of us. She storms off back to the room, while Kelley stays with me, holding my hand.

"Please, continue." She tells the doctor, who seems surprised by what he just witnessed.

"Um...okay. Well, There was food in their systems, there's a chance it could have been in the food"

"You mean like poisoned?" I ask him, wanting him to be entirely clear but before he can answer, Kelley interrupts.

"No. Tobin and I took them out for dinner before their game, we all ate at the same place and Tobin and Cody ordered the same dish. Tobin's fine."

"I need to be clear with you here. They're both incredibly lucky to be alive and if this is deliberate I have a duty to inform the police. Now, is there anything else that they both consumed that day?"

I don't answer as I feel my blood boil, anger brewing within me. I walk away, heading to my daughter's room. I throw the door open, startling everyone in there, minus Jeri who is asleep in the corner, and the two teens hooked up to machines  - less machines than there was a few days ago, but still hooked up nonetheless. I walk over to my daughter's bed, Tobin still holding her hand as she watches me.

"What's wrong, babe?"

I shake my head 'no', far too angry for words. I bite my tongue, knowing I'll probably take it out on Tobin and that's the last thing I want to do. I lean over Cody and kiss her forehead, tracing the side of her face with the tips of my fingers.

"Hope?" I call my friend, who is still angry with my daughter. I turn and watch as she looks at me and raises an eyebrow in question.

"What, Alex?"

"Come with me." Is all I say before I leave, not even checking if she's behind me.

"Wait! Alex! Hope!" Kelley eventually stops in front of us, her hands up as she tries to stop us from leaving. "What's going on? What do you know?"

"Move, Kelley." I watch as the cold tone of my voice makes my best friend gulp. Hope walks to her girlfriend, kisses her and tells her to wait here and watch Jack.

I climb into the car, wait for Hope to get in the passenger seat and I drive off as I see Kelley holding her phone to her ear and my sister running out of the hospital, frantically looking for me.

"What's going on Alex?"

_________

| Cody |

I feel like shit. I slowly open my eyes, closing them again almost immediately due to the bright lights in the room. I hear a beeping, and machines running, someone holding my hand and confusion takes over.

"Cody?"

"Mhm." I mumble, still not opening my eyes.

"Cody, it's me, Jeri. Open your eyes kiddo, we dimmed the lights"

I obey, slowly opening my eyes. I take in my surrounding as my head throbs. The wires attached to my chest, Tobin holding my hand, my aunt looking at me worriedly. I look to my left to see the bed next to me occupied. Taking a closer look, I see it's Jack and I begin to panic. I try and get out of bed, wanting to rush to my best friend's side, but Tobin gentle puts a hand on my shoulder, lowering me back down.

"What's going on?" I ask aloud, not tearing my eyes away from Jack as I begin to cry. My aunt sighs, handing me a cup of water, before wrapping her arms around me. I tense for a few seconds, only relaxing when Tobin squeezes my hand in reassurance.

"Where's my mom?" I grumble out.

"I'm here, baby girl." I hear as the door swings open, my mom rushing over to my side, Hope coming in after her.

"I'm glad you're okay, kid." Hope says while she ruffles my hair before going to sit next to Jack.

"What happened mom?" She doesn't answer, she only wraps me in her arms, and I don't question it again. I let her hold me, because I'm scared, because my mom is scared. Both of us need this, for the exact same reason.

"Miss Morgan, Miss Solo, the police are here for whenever you're ready." The doctor says from the doorway.

"Police? Mom, what's happening?"

"We'll need you to tell us that, Cody." This time it's a police officer who enters the room behind the doctor. He and his partner practically force their way into the room.

"Could you both wait outside, please? My patient has only just woken up, she doesn't need the additional stress at this moment." The doctor challenges and after a short staring contest the officers leave.

"Mom, what's going on?" I ask her, more stern than before as I grow tired of the confusion.