State Championship Pt 3

| Alex |

I watch on as my daughter is lifted onto the stretcher, and wheeled away towards the ambulance.

"Alex, go with her." I hear Ali say, and I'm already making my way towards the medics who are looking after my daughter.

"Ma'am I'm sorry but only one member of family can-"

"I'm her mother!" I snap at the medic, panicking about the wellbeing of my child, he nods sympathetically and moves aside as I climb into the ambulance, taking a seat next to my daughter's stretcher, holding her hand and talking to her as the medic tells me to keep her awake.

"Mom?"

"Yeah, baby?"

"Did we win?" I laugh at her priorities. While I'm here freaking out about her injuries, she's worrying about a scoreline. She's definitely my daughter.

"I think they're still playing, sweetie."

"Oh...Why am I not?"

I look to the medic to see him shrug, ever so helpful.

"You got hurt, baby. We're taking you to hospital, to see a doctor." I say and she squeezes my hand as much as she can.

_______________

"Miss Morgan?" I hear the doctor open the door, saying my name beckoning me out into the hallway. I look to my daughter, she's zoning into the crappy movie that's playing on the small TV and I stand up, following the doctor out the room.

"Well, what I can tell you is that Cody should be fine." He starts, and I sigh in relief. "She has a mild concussion and some slight whiplash in her neck which should ease up in a week or so. There is something else, we found traces of alcohol in her system, meaning unless we know exactly what and it's out of her system, we can't give her any pain medication for her head or neck."

"Okay...thank you."

As I walk back to my daughters room, I run into Ali and Ashlyn while Hope and Jack are still at the field.

"Is she okay?" Ali asks, making me smile as I see how much she cares for my daughter.

"She'll be fine."

"Are you okay?"

"I will be." I answer, not wanting to tell them about the alcohol in Cody's system, not before I speak with my daughter. We all walk into the room assigned to Cody, to see her starting to doze off, not that I blame her, that movie is boring, but I wake her up when I close the door.

"Wha-Oh, hello." she says, changing her tune when she sees Ash and more importantly, Ali.

"Hey kiddo."

"Hey Cody, how are you feeling?" Ali asks her, walking over and placing a kiss on her forehead.

"I'm doing okay now, sorry if I ruined your night." She answers, and I see Krashlyn mirroring the frown on my face.

"You didn't ruin anything, don't worry about a thing, just worry about getting better."

I sit on the seat next to my daughter's bed, holding her hand when she holds it out to me, smiling when I see her relax at my touch. I think about everything she's been through as I play with her hair.

"I love you mom."

"I love you too, Cody."

We talk for ten minutes when the door opens Hope and Jack enter the room. I stand next to my teammates as Jack practically runs to Cody, climbing onto the bed and laying on top of my daughter, hugging her tightly, mumbling 'I love you' constantly while she cries, clearly worried about her friend's wellbeing.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" She yells, before pausing and turning to me. "She is okay, right?"

"She will be, she has a mild concussion and a little whiplash, but she'll be fine."

"Oh, thank God." Jack squeals as she squeezes Cody tighter.

"Jack..."

"Yeah Maxi?" She responds to my daughter, making me smile. Nobody else uses Cody's middle name like Jack does.

"Did we win?" I notice everyone in the room is looking at her in disbelief.

"We did." Jack answers her, and they both wear matching grins.

I nudge Hope, gaining her attention, and nod towards the door signalling to leave the room, and she takes the hint, leading Jack and Krashlyn out of the room 'to get coffee and some food'. When they're gone, I walk to my daughters bed, taking her hand in mine.

"How are you feeling? Are you in any pain, baby?"

"My head hurts but I'm okay."

"Baby, I need to ask you something and I want you to be completely honest with me, okay?" I ask her, and she nods before I continue. "Were you drunk during the game?" I ask and watch as her eyebrows furrow.

"No! I wasn't, why? Did Jack tell you that?"

"No, the doctor did. He said they found traces of alcohol in your system."

"Mom, I wouldn't drink before a game, I swear! I had a drink last night but not today, I wouldn't I swear." I watch as my daughter become increasingly upset, and I can tell she's being completely honest with me.

"I believe you baby girl, calm down." I play with her hair, helping to soothe her when she asks about Jack.

"So...she didn't tell you?" She asks me, and I take a second to think if I should tell her that I already heard about her drinking issues from Ali, who heard from Jack. I decide against it, knowing Cody wouldn't trust Jack the same way she does right now.

"No, baby. She didn't." I kiss her head as she begins to relax again as Jack and my teammates come back into the room, asking if it's okay to enter and I nod, welcoming them in.

"Was that your first injury, Codes?" Ash asks, and I look to my daughter as she nods.

"My first serious one, I've been kicked and stomped on plenty of times." She chuckles but I see the look in her eyes. I don't have the chance to address it before the Doctor knocks on the door.

"Sorry to interrupt, i just wanted to let you know that all the results of your tests are back and you're completely fine to go home in a few hours."

"Thank you, Doctor."

When he leaves, Ali, Ash, Hope and Jack decide to go home, telling me they'll meet us there soon and I sit next to Cody's bed.

"Thanks, mom."

"What for?" I ask her, as she bites her lip.

"Being here even though I've been screening your calls, I've been acting like..like-"

"It's okay, Cody."

"No, it's not...mom, I've been having nightmares and they're messing with my head and I thought if I pushed everyone away then it'd hurt less but I was w-wrong." She stutters at the end, finally breaking down as the tears cascade down her beautiful face and it breaks my heart, so I sit on the bed next to her, wrapping my arms around her as she leans into me, resting her head on my shoulder, hiding her face in my neck.

"I was so scared mom." She says, and I know she's talking about getting injured and losing consciousness.

"It's okay Cody, I'm here." I pull her onto my lap, rocking her back and forth, holding her while she cries.

Not long after my daughter has calmed down, the Doctor stops by, telling Cody she can finally go home, which is news my daughter takes very well. I hand her the clothes that she had in her locker, Jack was kind enough to bring them with her after the game, and I wait outside as she dresses, heading back in ten minutes later when she's ready.

"Let's get you home, baby girl."