Chapter 13: Truth or Dare Reveals the Truth

       "No," I said. "No way. My dad will never let me go to a party."

       "You can't be too sure if you never ask," Hennessy said. "Teenagers in Spruceworth always throw the best parties and they're rarely busted by the cops here. Plus, even if they do, Grant and I always get away with it if it's our cousin that shows up."

       "And the best part, there's always a bunch of food there," Vikram said. "Okay, maybe not the best part but always a bright side."

       "It's also the first party of the year so it's definitely going to be the best," Hennessy said.

       Grant snorted. "That's what you say about the last party of the school year. Personally, they're both overrated and not a big deal."

       "Says the person who still attends them," Hennessy said.

       "What can I say? I like the free food and watching certain teenagers making a fool out of themselves. I'm probably not going to go tonight, though. No point to it."

       "Good, because that means I can spend less time around you," Hennessy said before looking at me. "Are you sure you can't even ask your dad to go? The parties really aren't that bad. I mean, there are some people who get out of hand but most of the time, the parties thrown here are pretty chill."

       "I can try asking my dad," I said. "But I really don't know if he'll let me go. He does let me do a lot of stuff but parties have always been a red flag."

       To be honest, my dad would probably let me go to the party as long as I was home by curfew but I didn't really want to go. I had been to parties before back when I was living with Mom and there were always alcohol, and it definitely wasn't a good idea for me to be anywhere near it.

       Especially since Grant was going to go. Even if there was no alcohol, I didn't think I could go without Grant. Yeah, Vikram and Hennessy were my friends too but... I wasn't as close to them as I was with Grant, and I was a lot more comfortable around Grant.

       I definitely couldn't go to a party where a bunch of people were if Grant wasn't there too.

       "Just make sure you tell your dad you'll be with us," Vikram said. "We're responsible and he knows it since he is our teacher after all."

       "Yeah, you're right," I said, only because I had a hard time saying no to people. It really sucked at times. "I'm sure my dad will let me go."

       Hopefully not.

       School had ended already so after I told them that, Vikram said he was going to head home, and Hennessy was too but she was going to get Wilbur first to walk home together. Grant told her he was just going to meet her at home.

       As soon as Vikram and Hennessy walked off, Grant looked at me. "You really don't want to go to the party, do you?"

       "Well, I kind of do but the bigger part doesn't want to because if it's anything like the parties I've been to when I was living with my mom, there will be a lot of alcohol there," I said. "Maybe even drugs. And you know that it will probably be best for me to say no to all of that."

       "Why didn't you just tell them you didn't want to go?" Grant asked.

       "Because I find it hard to say no to people, especially if they're my friends," I said. "And now, I can't tell them I'm not allowed to go because they're expecting me to and I'll feel like I'm letting them down."