Chapter 39: Struggling

       Spruceworth's first snowfall that I had seen since living here was one of the most amazing things ever. I love all seasons and all the different kind of weather but snowy weather was one of my top favourites.

       There was just something so peaceful about seeing blankets of snow spread across the ground and on top of the buildings. Not only that but because of it, the nights seemed a lot brighter.

       As much as I did like the snow, I didn't think the temperature had ever been as cold as it was right now. Walking to school in the morning was just horrible since it was always colder in the mornings.

       It was even worse that the heater in the school was broken because of the explosion so it was freezing during class. Everyone kept their winter clothing on so we wouldn't freeze to death in class.

       Except Grant.

       He was the only one who was able to take his jacket and gloves off so he was either wearing a thin sweater or even a t-shirt.

       He claimed it was because his soul was already cold so he was used to it.

       I still didn't understand him at times and he was my boyfriend.

       At least today was finally the last day of school before winter break. Then we could sleep in as long as we wanted to, and we wouldn't have to have a detention on Saturday again.

       The only issue with winter break was that I was still going to have to see my science teacher every day.

       Why did Dad have to teach at my school? Even though he was teaching there before I started to attend it.

       When lunch came around, Grant, Hennessy, Vikram, and I left the school and went to the cafe to get some hot drinks. We were going to go to our school's cafeteria but there was already a huge line up there. I just hoped the cafe we were going to wasn't as full.

       It wasn't, thankfully. There was a line, of course, but the workers here were always very efficient so it didn't take long for the four of us to our orders.

       And as soon as we sat down, Grant took off his jacket.

      "How can you do that?" Vikram asked. "It's cold. It's as cold as it has ever been here. We literally reached an all new low temperature. Almost record breaking."

       "Well, I'd rather not wear this puffy jacket all day," Grant said. "I look better with it off. Ollie should know. He's usually the one taking off my cl--"

       "Oh my gosh, you need to stop with all the innuendos whenever Vikram and I are around," Hennessy said. "We don't want to hear it."

        Grant shrugged and took a sip out of his cup of hot chocolate, a smile appearing on his lips. He was the most unbelievable person ever and really wasn't afraid to make innuendos all the time.

       Kind of embarrassing for me when normally, the innuendos involved me.

       "Anyway, to change the subject..." Vikram said. "I may love school but I can't wait for the day to be over. Then it's just days of sleeping in with no homework whatsoever."

       "And to top it all off, the holidays are coming soon," Hennessy said. "Which means the winter festival will be happening and that, I can't wait for."

       "What's the winter festival?" I asked.

       Grant narrowed his eyes at me. "And you call yourself a Spruceworthian."