Chapter 14: Vulnerable

       Not going home during lunch was actually kind of difficult at times, even more so when Grant wasn't here at school. I was still determined not to go home so desperate times called for desperate measures.

       And by desperate measures, I met eating lunch with my dad in his classroom. I didn't have anywhere else to go and I really didn't want to go home.

       At least it meant I wouldn't have to walk to my classroom after lunch since I was already here. I could just be as lazy as I wanted to be.

       "Any chance you could tell me what we're doing in class today?" I asked. "Because you never tell me."

       "Yes, so I don't give you an unfair advantage to everyone," Dad said. "I can't have you begin the work a lot earlier than everyone. But since I doubt you're going to start the work now, I'll tell you. Everyone's going to get into pairs to work on a project."

       "Another project?" I asked. "Are you trying to work us to death?"

       "Oh, relax, it's a short one that you'll be doing in class today and tomorrow," Dad said.

       "Well, can I pair up with someone who's not in class today?" I asked. "Grant isn't here today and I'd rather not work with anyone else."

       "Where is he?" Dad asked.

       "Home, I guess," I said. I didn't even know he wasn't going to be here today. I just went to my social studies class and I didn't see him there. Then again, maybe I shouldn't assume he was sick and see where he was because I'd like to think he would tell me if he was at home sick.

       I sent him a quick text before going back to eating my lunch. Dad told me that if I was fine starting the project today by myself, I could pair up with Grant all I want, thankfully. I didn't know who else I could pair up with. Even though Hennessy and Vikram were in the class as well, it meant one of us would be left out.

       And I probably wouldn't work as well with either of them than I would with Grant.

       By the time the bell to rang lunch rang, I didn't get a reply from Grant at all. Which made sense, I guess. If he was sick at home, he was probably sleeping right now.

       Just to make sure, I leaned over to Hennessy once she sat down since he seat was beside mine. "Hey, where's Grant?" I asked.

       "How should I know?" Hennessy asked and for some reason, she didn't sound too happy.

       "Because you're his sister?" I said.

       "Yeah, well, he hadn't been home all night."

       "What? Why?"

       "Again, how should I know?"

       Something was off. Really off. Why wouldn't Grant be home all night and why wouldn't Hennessy act even the slightest bit worried? He was her twin brother. If I had a twin and they weren't home all night, I would be losing my mind.

       I didn't even care if class was about to start. I just packed up my stuff into my backpack before getting up from my seat and hurrying out of the classroom, ignoring my dad calling out, "Ollie?!"

       As I was walking out of the school, I called Grant's number and held my cell phone up to my ear but all it did was ring and ring. He wasn't answering the phone at all.

       I sighed and put my phone back into my pocket. If he wasn't home all night, where could he be?

       Even if I did know, who's to say I would find the place since I was still getting to know where everything was?