Chapter 20: Music Festival

       The day of the music festival was the day Mom wouldn't stop with the text after text, telling me about all the music schools that were here in Spruceworth that we could try talking to in order to get information about registration and auditions.

       I didn't reply to her at all and now, I didn't want to go to the music festival so I wouldn't have to worry about running into her and her forcing me to talk to the schools anyway. But I didn't want this day to be ruined for me. I loved music and the festival sounded amazing. I didn't want to miss out on my first one.

       I was either going to have to do a lot of avoiding or figure out someway to finally get it through my mom's mind that I was perfectly happy in Spruceworth.

       Though the latter seemed quite impossible so I was going to have to go with the avoiding option. At least Grant told me there were going to be a lot of people there so maybe it wouldn't be so hard avoiding my mom.

       And Fred. I was going to have to avoid him too because after the run-in with him at the previous musical rehearsal, I realized he was just an annoying piece of crap.

       I wasn't too worried about running into Fred, though, since I was going to be with Grant the whole time and Grant definitely had a way of getting people annoyed.

       I would know. He may be my boyfriend but he loved annoying me all the time.

       The festival was such a beautiful sight right now. Colourful lights were strung across all the buildings, and as of now jazz music was being heard throughout the streets. Tables of food, drinks, and other sorts of things were lined up as well. 

       "You know what I love the most about being the mayor's grandson?" Grant asked as he was handed two cinnamon rolls before he gave me one of them. "All the free food handouts. My grandpa even told all the merchants to give his grandchildren and great-grandchildren free food."

       "But... The sign by the cinnamon rolls table literally says One Free Roll Per Person," I pointed out.

       "Yes, I can read, Ollie," Grant said. "I just like feeling important. Don't ruin it for me."

       "Well, you really are important," I said, kissing his cheek. 

       Grant only scowled and wiped the kiss away. "Ew, gross, cheesiness. I don't do cheesiness."

       "Sure you don't. So what should we do?"

       "Well, I've been hearing the jazz music play for a while now so I kind of want to find where the stage is and just relax to the music."

       "As long as my mom isn't there, that sounds great."

       The stage where all the performances were going to be was close to The Gold Mine; where the largest road of Spruceworth was. Not too many people drove through Spruceworth unless they were heading off somewhere or were arriving here so that road was always available for use.

       I was keeping an eye out for my mom the whole time but I hadn't seen her yet so maybe I could actually have fun during the festival without worrying about seeing her.

       I did spot someone I would rather not see, however. Hennessy was standing close to the stage with Wilbur and a woman who had a stroller set in front of her; Hennessy and Grant's mom, I was guessing.

       Wilbur spotted us and before Hennessy or his mom could stop him, he hurried over with a huge smile on his face. "Grant!" he said, throwing his arm around his older brother. "I haven't seen you in so long!"