Chapter 38: Detention

       "I'd seriously like to know how we got ourselves in this mess," Vikram said while he locked his bike at the bike rack in the courtyard of the school. "It's Saturday and we have to be at the school. Who wants to be at school on Saturday?"

       "Nobody does," Hennessy said. "I don't even know why Ollie and I are here. We weren't even involved in the fight."

       "I mean, technically we were," I said. "Just not physically but we were arguing with those people. And I was trying to break up the fight so it could have looked like I was involved in it."

       "That still doesn't mean we deserve to be here on a Saturday," Hennessy said. "Is Saturday detention even a thing? Is this legal?"

       "It should be," Grant muttered, who was now sitting at one of the picnic tables, his arms propped up to keep his head rested in his hands. "It's eight in the morning. Who wakes up this early on the weekend?"

       "You look dead tired," Vikram said. "What time did you fall asleep?"

       "I don't know," Grant said. "Like two, three in the morning? Ollie and I were--"

       "Nope," Hennessy interrupted. "Don't finish that. I don't want to hear it."

       "Watching a movie and eating junk food," Grant continued. "We forgot about the stupid Saturday detention and by the time we remembered, it was two. Or three. Maybe even four."

       "How come Ollie doesn't look as tired as you?" Vikram asked.

       "I can easily function with only a few hours of sleep," I said. "Just for a bit though. By the time Saturday detention is over, that's when I'll shut down and not want to wake up. And now, we should probably get to the detention before we get in trouble for being late and have to come back next week."

       I still wasn't thrilled about the four of us being in Saturday detention. At least we weren't going to be the only ones there. Then again, I would rather it be just the four of us than having the other four there with us.

       It was such a weird thing all of a sudden. My friends and I never had any problems with anyone else in school. We just lived our normal lives, trying our best not to have conflict with anyone.

       Until Janessa decided she wanted to make conflict.

       She said some not so friendly things to Hennessy and while it didn't bother Hennessy herself, Grant got pissed. He told Janessa off which didn't pass by one of her friends who then told Grant off.

       It was a whole chain of people telling each other off until both Grant and one of Janessa's friends, Silas, got as angry as they could.

       Then Vikram got involved.

       And then Silas's friend Denis. 

       I wasn't fast enough to break up the fight before the principal found at and decided that after school detention wasn't enough.

       No, Mr. Griffith thought Saturday detention would be the best solution for us 'trouble-makers'.

       The four of us walked into the school with Grant slowly following us, looking as tired as he has ever been. Once we got into the detention room, Grant flopped down at the first desk he got to and rested his head on the table. Literally moments later, he was fast asleep.

       I sat down in the desk beside him. Detention hadn't even started and I was already counting down the minutes until this was over. Just over three hundred minutes left.