Chapter 24: Meeting the Family

       I didn't know why I agreed to having dinner with Mom and her boyfriend and his kids, even if Grant was allowed to come with me. I was still trying to wrap my head around the idea that my mom was seeing someone else.

       I knew eventually, Mom was going to find someone else but... I didn't think it would happen so fast.

       "I don't think this is a good idea," I said as Grant and I stood outside of The Gold Mine. "I should probably just text her and tell her I caught a sudden cold and don't want to infect anyone else."

       "You should just get it done and over with," Grant said. "He's a part of your mom's life now so you're going to have to meet him sooner or later."

       "I chose later," I said and I was about to walk away but Grant quickly grabbed my arm.

       "Ollie, come on," Grant said. "Just think, you get to see my trying to irritate your mom because I really want to irritate her."

       I sighed. "And I don't want you getting her mad."

       "Well, that's a shame," Grant said. "Look, I know it's hard meeting your mom's boyfriend for the first time. If my mom ever starts dating again, I can't even imagine what it will be like. But you really will have to meet him eventually and it will be best to get it done and over with."

       I knew Grant was right but it was still hard for me imagining the fact that my mom was seeing someone else. I didn't even know what he was like. For all I know, he could be a horrible man and my mom only saw the good in him.

       I was probably overreacting.

       "So... Are you ready to go inside or do you really want to head home?" Grant asked.

       As much as I did want to go home, I should just get this done and over with.

       "Yeah, let's go inside," I said. 

       Grant gave me a reassuring smile before intertwining his hand in mine to give me a bit more comfort. We walked inside the restaurant and as soon as we did, I saw Mom get up from the table she was sitting at before walking over. 

       "I'm really happy you were able to come, Ollie," Mom said. She then looked at Grant. "And it's nice to finally meet you, Grant."

       Unbelievably, Grant decided to say, "I wish I could say the same."

       I nudged his side.

       "What?" he asked. "She said some cruel things about your drinking problem."

       Mom sighed. "And trust me, I really do regret that. I promised Ollie I would do whatever it takes to make up for it."

       Mom really did some apologetic about what she said to me so maybe, just maybe, her boyfriend was actually a good guy, especially if he was able to help he realize what she said to me was insensitive.

       Mom led us to the table she was at; a man was there as well as two young women who seemed like they were in their mid-to-late twenties.

       "This is my son, Oliver," Mom said to them. "Ollie, this is Jaime," she gestured to the man, "and his daughters Viola and Heidi."

       "Don't I get an introduction?" Grant asked.

       "Oh, of course," Mom said. "And this is Oliver's boyfriend, Grant."

       As we sat down, Grant whispered in my ear, "I'm going to make her mad."

       I didn't even bother trying to stop him from doing so. He wasn't going to listen to me at all.