Chapter 27: The Aftermath

Grant

       The last time I was in the waiting room in the hospital, I got the news that my dad passed away. That had to be the worst day of my life and I still remember every single detail. 

       Coming home from school, excited to tell my dad how I got the highest mark in my social studies class for the project we had to do.

       Seeing him lying unconscious on the living room floor.

       Waiting endlessly in the hospital just to hear the news that he passed away due to alcohol poisoning.

       And now here I was, waiting to know if my boyfriend survived the minor explosion in the school. It only wiped out a small portion of the school, but it was the portion Ollie was in.

       August and I weren't the only ones in the waiting room of the hospital. Shaw was here as well since he was at the carnival, and close to the school, when the explosion happened. In fact, he was the one who went in there, along with August, to get Ollie while we were waiting for the firefighters and paramedics to show up.

       I wanted to go in as well but Horatio prevented me from doing so.

       Winnie was also here since August called her as soon as we got to the hospital. She was constantly getting up and talking to anyone she could find that worked here to see if they could tell us about Ollie's condition. So far, we weren't getting any word about him.

       So we had to wait.

       While we were waiting, Horatio walked into the room, looking extremely worried. When August noticed him, he asked, "Did they find out what caused the explosion?"

       "Yeah, they did," Horatio said. "And it wasn't an accident."

       Wasn't an accident.

       The explosion wasn't an accident. How on earth could it not be an accident?

       "Wait," Shaw said as he stood up from the chair he was on. "So you're telling me that someone intentionally hurt Ollie? That whoever did it probably tried killing him and could still succeed because we have no idea how he's doing?"

       "We don't know exactly what the intention was," Horatio said but I had a feeling he was only saying that to try to keep us calm, which didn't even work at all.

       "Don't," Shaw said. "Don't give me that. You and I both know that nobody would randomly blow up the school!"

       "I don't get it," August said. "Who would want to hurt my little boy? He's just a teenager and he's one of the sweetest people ever. I doubt he even has enemies that would want to hurt him, or kill him, that badly."

       "It has to have been just the school that was targeted," Winnie said. "It has to be."

       "Spruceworth may be a crazy place at times but nobody would just randomly try to blow up a school," Shaw said. "Every time something like this happens, it's targeted."

       "But nobody would target Ollie like that," August said. "Nobody. He hasn't angered anyone recently, or at least angered them enough to do something like this."

       "Whatever the reason is, we'll find it out," Horatio said. "I promise you."

       "You don't have to," Shaw said. "I think I already did."

       Shaw did say anything else as he walked out of the living room, looking extremely mad. I didn't know what he meant when he already did but if he had even the slightest idea of who could have done this, I wasn't going to question it.