Chapter 21: Back to Arguing

       The arguing between my parents was never going to end, despite them being divorced, and I felt like I just made it a hundred times worse. I knew my mom was going to blame my dad for my drinking. She blamed him for every single thing.

       Yet I still opened my big mouth and told my mom I had a sponsor.

       Why couldn't I just shut up and walk away from her when she was being pushy with the music schools?

       I couldn't even muster up the courage to speak up and say something right now. Instead, I just sat at the kitchen table, watching the two of them argue. Grant wasn't even here to comfort me. 

       After the festival ended, we went home but before we could even get inside, I heard my parents arguing very loudly. I didn't want him to feel awkward witnessing the feud so I told him it might be best if he just went to one of his cousins' house for the time being.

       He agreed.

       "I should have known this was going to happen with Oliver living here," Mom said. "You give him way too much freedom here and look where it got him!"

       "Don't you dare blame this situation on me," Dad said. 

       "He's sixteen!" Mom said. "He's sixteen and he's an alcoholic! He's drinking when he shouldn't be anywhere near alcohol! Your his father and you didn't prevent this from happening!"

       "Mom..." I said, wanting her to just stop blaming Dad for the mistake I made. I was the one who started drinking in the first place.

       Mom looked over at me, giving me the sternest look I had ever received from her. "I'm not talking to you yet. I can barely look at you right now."

       While I had never been as close to my mom as I had been with my dad and while I had gotten used to the way she acted towards me at times, her saying that really stung and even caused my eyes to start pooling with tears.

       "Way to be a supportive mother," Dad said. "It may be his fault that he picked up the first drink but alcoholism is a disease. You think he wants to turn to a bottle every single time he's feeling upset and wants some sort of escape? He doesn't want this."

       "Well, he definitely deserves it," Mom said.

       If I thought what she said earlier stung, the feeling I got from hearing that sentence was on a whole new level.

       "How could you say that?" I asked, my voice cracking. "I just had one drink and that's what caused me to be addicted to drinking. One. Drink. That was all it took. A lot of teenagers drink multiple times and don't get addicted to it. Alcoholism is a disease and I don't deserve a disease."

       I didn't even want to be anywhere near my mom right now so I went to my bedroom and slammed the door shut. The tears started flowing faster so I quickly wiped them away but it was no help. I expected my mom to be mad when she found out but I never expected her to say I deserved it.

       She was still my mom. She was still suppose to love me and support me through everything.

       I guessed not.

       The arguing still went on and I didn't know if it was going to end any time soon so I decided to call the one person who might help settle this argument once and for all. Or at least for now.

       I held the phone up to my ear, hearing it ring only two times before I got an answer. He always answered my calls quickly. "Hello?"

       "Shaw, I really need your help," I said.