Chapter 16: Sponsor

Chapter 16: Sponsor

       "A sponsor?" I asked. "I don't need a sponsor."

       "There's a difference between not needing and not wanting a sponsor," Dad said. "If you really want to stop drinking, the best thing to do is to get help from someone who knows what it likes. Believe me, I want to do whatever I can to help but I have no idea what it's like for you. A sponsor is one of the best options, especially since you don't want to go to any support groups."

       "I don't want to go because I don't like talking about everything to a group of strangers," I said. "Do you really think it's going to be easier talking to a sponsor?"

       "Once you get to know him," Dad said. "And someone has already offered to be your sponsor. I'm not going to force you to take the opportunity but you could at least think about it."

       "Someone already offered?" I asked. "Who? Because I was only in that meeting for a short period of time and nobody else knows about my drinking." 

       "It's actually Shaw," Dad said.

       "Shaw?" I repeated. "You mean the guy who told you about my drinking in the first place when it should have been my choice?"

       "You're a minor who showed up the an addiction support group," Dad said. "You may not like it but he had every right to tell me. He's just looking out for you. He told me he got addicted at your age so he knows exactly what it's like. He just wants to help."

       "I don't want his help," I said. 

       Dad sighed and looked over at Grant, who was just sitting at the kitchen table watching the conversation unfold in front of him. "Can you please tell Ollie that Shaw was only trying to help?" Dad asked.

       "Can you please tell my dad that Shaw still should have talked to me first before telling my dad about my addiction?" I asked.

       Grant was silent for a bit before he cleared his throat. "Actually, I, uh... I have a confession."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What is it?"

       "Shaw wasn't planning on telling your dad," Grant said. "Not until... Not until I asked him if he could."

       "I'm sorry, I must have heard wrong," I said. "Because to me, it sounded like you just went behind my back when I told you not to tell my dad."

       "Hey, don't you get mad at him," Dad said. "If he didn't ask Shaw to tell me, I still wouldn't know and you still wouldn't be doing anything to try and get sober."

       "It's still my choice to tell people!" I said.

       "Oliver, you're sixteen and you're an alcoholic," Dad said. "If you don't tell people that care about you, you're never going to get better because nobody will be here for you when you need it."

       "I really am sorry," Grant said. "I just... I didn't know what else to do."

       I looked at Grant, trying so hard to get mad at him but I just couldn't find it inside of me. Deep down, I knew Grant was just trying to look out for me and help me out. While he never drank, he still had first-hand experience watching his dad drink and drink every day.

       So I sighed. "No, I'm sorry. You were only trying to help. And I really need the help because I can't do anything on my own."

       "You're not completely helpless, Ollie," Dad said. "And there isn't anything wrong with getting help with your drinking."