How Few Remain(Part 2)

Me:

In the previous chapter, a messenger was able to give Special Order 191 by Robert E. Lee to other generals, and an invasion of the North takes place, reaching Philadelphia, the invasion ending in a Southern victory.

Cody:

The fall of Philadelphia is a turning point in the conflict and in American history. It's the moment that the northern cause seems hopeless to not only the United States... but the world as well. One constant fear during the war was that the Confederates would use their cotton exports to leverage support from Europe. And in Turtledove's world, this becomes a reality. Britain and France recognize the way the war is going and recognize the cause of the Confederates. Even though they are against the practice of slavery, they sure do like that cotton. And it's always good to side with the victor. So, Europe forces the United States to enter negotiations with the South.

Me:

In the novels that I haven't read yet, Lincoln is in a conversation with ambassador Richard Lyons of Britain. Lincoln says that he had created what we know as the Emancipation Proclamation, but decides against using it. Then Lyons warns that such an act of usage would mark desperation. Of course, Lincoln says that the South only won because they had help from Europe and that maybe the North will find European powers to help them. Lyons scoffs at that saying that no such European powers exist. Says a C.S.A.-supporting European. I feel that this might change in a few decades.

Cody:

It's over. The Civil War or, War of Succession as it comes to be called, has come to an end.

Me:

It's War of SECESSION, Cody.

Cody:

A peace treaty is signed, and the Confederate States of America is officially recognized. Now, two rival nations are forced to share the same continent. Lincoln's legacy is in shambles. His rise to power is seen as what divided the country, and he is soon voted out of office. Now, in our timeline, Lincoln's entire legacy was always on the line. The actions he took were often seen as one of a dictator, and if the war was lost, it would've backfired immensely.

Me:

The successor president is a Democrat who people assume is Horatio Seymour. Regardless of the readers, the Democrats win every single presidential election in the North though it might briefly change in a few decades.

Cody:

So, the C.S.A. now rules itself. Now what? Well, the novels actually skip over a few decades. This is a time for rebuilding and expansion. While the two countries have lived in peace, there is always an undercurrent of tension. The C.S.A. is able to achieve many dreams they actually had in our own history. The great thing Turtledove is able to do is to make these play out. One of which is the purchase of Cuba from Spain. Now, in our timeline, southern power really wanted Cuba, because of the many sugar fields and foreigners that could be exploited. Cuba is purchased and becomes another state in the Confederacy.

Me:

Because I like to keep my chapters about 500 words long, I'll continue with the next one.