How Few Remain(Part 4)

Me:

In the last chapter, Mexico sold Sonora and Chihuahua to the C.S.A., the Republican U.S. president declared war and the South got help from Europe by abandoning slavery.

Cody:

But, before talking about THOSE ramifications, we're off to war. The SECOND Mexican War, which actually doesn't involve Mexico at all, so, good job naming that.

Me:

I believe that Cody talked to Turtledove about the naming. Regardless, this is the Second War Between The States.

Cody:

Now, the specifics of the war aren't really important. In MOST regards, it's a repeat of the first war. The U.S. is incompetent, the South holds its own, the Mormons do some rebelling, and the British do some invading. The United States tries to invade the South through Louisville, though this goes horrendously. The fighting is so brutal, it's the first use of trench warfare in modern history. And the U.S. is forced to concede defeat.

Me:

The Mormon uprising is the first of three majors. It is put down, the U.S. classifies the religion as a political organization, and they execute Mormon leaders like Brigham Young. In the aftermath of the war, Northern Maine is given by the U.S. to Britain, who add it to New Brunswick in Canada. And the South gets to have Chihuahua and Sonora.

And because of the defeat, Blaine ensures the end date of the war to be an event of yearly remembrance for the North. Yet, he is still voted out of office in the next election. The Republicans split in three, some of them still keeping the name but lacking political power outside the Midwest. Lincoln who is now an orator, along with his followers and the liberal members of the dissolving Republican party, join Marxist parties and form the Socialist Party, the rest of the Republicans and Benjamin Butler join the Democrats, resulting in the party becoming right-wing, the socialists becoming left-wing.

Cody:

This defeat shapes the United States' relationship with the rest of the world. The Confederates have shown to be a favorite child of the British and French. This alliance causes deep resentment from the Americans. This is at a time of immigration as well, particularly German. The Second Mexican War is important because the U.S. forever becomes enemies with the British and French, who choose time and time again to side with the Confederates. So the U.S. goes looking for more allies.

The heavily Germanic United States finds a natural friend in ANOTHER underdog country. The German Empire. As the 20th Century comes around the corner, secret alliances are drawn. Not just as tensions rise in Europe, but on the North American continent as well.

Me:

Of course, there is also a population of Irish people in America who are anti-British. That might also help with antagonizing Britain against the North, aside from them befriending the Germans who have just been United under Prussian rule. I feel that Britain and France would develop a far larger grudge against the North for siding with their rival, the Germans. Still, the rest of the video will be ended in the next chapter following this one.