American Empire(Part 3)

Me:

Previously, the 1920's began with the U.S. punishing the South for the Great War, and people resenting this, including Jake Featherston, who discovers the Freedom Party.

Cody:

Featherston had a knack for expressing his views and gained popularity for his rousing speeches against the Blacks and politicians who were destroying the Confederacy.

I think you can see where this character arc is going. 

The South losing the Great War created the situation where a new authoritarian leader and ideology would rise to take over the Confederate States of America. Over the course of the 1920's and 30's, the Confederates see the Freedom Party in a far better light, due to rousing speeches and economic decline. Basically, a substitute for these guys.

Me:

That last part referred to the Nazis.

Cody:

But what else was occurring while this guy was gaining popularity? The United States was dealing with its own ideologic insurrection as well. Unlike our 1920's, this U.S. wasn't roaring. In fact, jobs were STILL difficult to come by, and the poor were turning to more radical beliefs. Socialism wasn't as hated in the U.S. as in our timeline. Instead, socialists began to win major victories in elections, becoming the new rival to the Democrats, who have sat pretty comfortable, since the Republican Party had died. The author of "The Jungle", Upton Sinclair, an avid socialist, which is what the book was meant to be about, by the way, ran for president against Teddy Roosevelt and won the election.

Me:

American voters learned that Teddy Roosevelt had plans to go for a third term, and chose to prevent that.

Cody:

Sinclair, trying to be peaceful, eased reparations, allowing the South to have a more favored view towards the North. Well, this wouldn't last for long.

Me:

Remember Featherston and the Freedom Party? Well, we're coming back to them later.

Cody:

As we all ask in times like this, "What about Canada"?

When Canada was annexed, the U.S. allowed the French-Canadians to form their own separate state. Quebec. When this happened, the two countries joined the Quadruple Powers, which made up of Germany, Poland(a German puppet state), the United States, and Quebec(a U.S. puppet state). The best way to illustrate the state of North America is a layered cake of tension.

Yeah, that's not a stupid analogy at all.

Me:

I wonder what "cake of tension" even means.

Cody:

Canadians, who are occupied by Americans, hate the United States and long for the days of being British, or Canadians, or whatever Quebec is. This becomes such an issue that insurrections begin to erupt, and even assassination attempts on American leaders. For decades, there is practically a secret war in Canada as rebels fight to maintain their identity.

Think of the United States as the black sheep of the English-speaking world. While the Confederates are allies to Britain, the U.S. actively fights against it and sides with the Germans instead. It's a very strange dynamic as the Americans are increasingly isolated by people who speak their own language.

Me:

There are tons of irony throughout this series. But apparently, the Confederates and Featherston, aside from the non-fascistic but rebellious and mutinous Canadians, aren't the only ones who are loathing the United States for the Great War. And the North isn't the only hated one either. We'll get into the other nations in the next chapter.