Chapter 30: Signed

I watch as Michael picks up the pen and signs the contract. I sigh under my breath and look away.

"Great." Marcus smiles, as Michael hands him the signed contract. "Layla will print off a copy for you to keep too."

"Thank you." Michael shows half a smile.

"Going to celebrate your promotion this weekend?" Marcus asks Michael.

"I'll definitely get up to something I'm sure." Michael smiles. "But tonight I'm just going to head to the gym."

"Fair enough." Marcus nods.

"You hitting the gym tonight Layla?" Michael looks at me. "Haven't seen you in there in a while."

"Uh no. I've been too exhausted after work recently. I'm just going to head home."

Michael smirks.

"Ok... Well what are you guys up to this weekend?"

"We don't have anything planned do we?" Marcus looks at me.

"I don't know." I shrug. "Maybe?"

"Well if you're both not doing anything, maybe you could join the celebration? And it's a thank you really, for everything."

I stare at him. Seriously?

"That sounds good." Marcus smiles. "I actually haven't been on a night out in... Well I can't even remember the last time I went out on a Saturday." He chuckles.

"I'll warn you though, I party hard when I go out." Michael smirks.

"Well I'm down for that." Marcus laughs. "Fancy going out Layla?"

"I don't know really..."

"That's cool. Me and you will have a guys night out." Michael says glancing at me and looking at Marcus.

"I'll see how I feel." I shrug.

"Ok, well I'll text you Mike." Marcus smiles.

"Sure. I've gotta run now, but I'll see you soon?"

"Yeah, see you later."

Michael smiles and leaves my office. I don't think I like the idea of Marcus being left alone with Michael, and I don't like the idea of going with him either.

"You feeling ok?" Marcus asks me.

"Yeah, why?"

"You're quiet."

"I'm fine." I laugh softly.

"Why don't you invite your sister out tomorrow night too?"

"Yeah maybe. It's been a long week... I'd rather have a quiet weekend."

"You don't mind me going out with Michael tomorrow night then?"

"No." I lie.

I know I'm going to have to go whether I like it or not. I can't risk Marcus being on his own with Michael. Anything could happen, and anything could be said.. especially because they will both be drinking.

"Ok, let's go." Marcus says walking towards the door. I follow him out.

I look through my social media while I'm sitting next to Marcus on the sofa. My phone pings. It's a message from Hayley.

Hey what are you doing tomorrow night? Jake actually has the weekend off, and his mum is looking after Zack, so we've got some free time! I'm thinking something alcohol related ;) xx

I roll my eyes and sigh. What a coincidence.

Hey. Well actually me and Marcus are going out tomorrow night and I'd actually really like it if you came. You can keep me company xx

"Who's that?" Marcus looks over at me texting.

"Hayley. Her and Jake are free at the weekend. She asked what we're up to."

"Oh, you going to invite them?"

"I guess so." I sigh.

"Thought you wanted a quiet weekend?" He chuckles.

"I did, but I can't say no now."

My phone pings.

Keep you company? Have things got that bad between you two? Lol xx

I smirk, and text back.

Ha ha. Remember I told you Marcus gave the new guy a promotion? He's invited me and Marcus out to "celebrate." I don't want to go xx

She replies:

Remember? How can I forget?! Nooo the weird hot stalker? Now I'm definitely down!!! Where and what time? Xx

I text back:

Easy on lol. I'll text you the details tomorrow. We haven't arranged anything yet xx

She replies:

Omg I haven't been out in sooo long. I need to let my hair down. I'm excited! It will also give us time to talk more... I know you're not ok xx

I read the text and stare at it for a little while. I try to think of something to text back...

I'm fine xx

I hesistate just as im about to click send. I sigh and delete it. I don't reply and put my phone down.