Chapter 33: You Promised

I sit in the bath tub crying. I touch my split lip, tasting blood and look at my bruised arms. After coming home last night Marcus went crazy on me again. He was so drunk... and so was I but he got so mad. I wish he wasnt like this. He really never used to be this bad... it's getting worse. I can't stay here any more... I finish in the bath and slowly make my way in to the bedroom. He's still asleep. I got to go. I quickly get dry and change my clothes. I pack a bag, shoving clothes in it as fast as I can, and as quietly as I can. I need to get away for a while. I look at him to make sure he's not woken up. I rush out and down the stairs, putting my shoes on. I leave the house and get in my car. I reverse out and start driving.

After a little while of driving I start getting choked up. I pull over on the side of the road and start crying. What am I doing? Where am I going to go? I'm married to Marcus and I love him... How can I leave my home? He's going to wake up and freak out when he sees I'm not there. I moan and wipe my face. We just need a break. That's all we need. I sigh and start driving again. I can't stay at Hayleys, she has enough to deal with. Maybe I could see Stacey... I make my way over to the strip club. She doesn't live far from here... That's if she still lives at the same address.

I find her house and park outside. I pull myself together and get out of my car, walking to her front door. I bring my hand up and knock a few times. It's quite early so I'm probably waking her up. A few minutes later the door opens.

"Layla?" She looks at me concerned.

"Hi..." My voice starts to break. "Sorry it's so early and if I've woken you up, but I'm-" I lose it and start to cry.

"Hey hey come here." She says softly, giving me hug. She brings me inside, closing the door. "What's happened?"

"Its Marcus.." I sob.

"Marcus done this to you?!"

"Yeah, but-"

"Yeah but my ass!! Let me go sort that mother fucker out!"

"No! Please Stacey. I came to you because I have no where else to go, and I know you won't say anything."

"Layla I can't keep quiet about this! Look at your face. He's beat you!"

"No don't!" I wipe my eyes. "Please."

She sighs and sits me down in her living room.

"What kind of a friend would I be if I just ignored this?"

"I am asking you, as a friend, not to say anything or do anything. Me and Marcus just need a break and we'll be fine."

She shakes her head.

"How many times has he done this to you?"

"I-i don't know... not that many times.."

"So this isn't the first time? How long Layla?!"

"I guess it started a little while after we married, but he never used to hurt me like this. This is recent."

"Fucking hell." She sighs. "I knew he was no good for you. Hes always had trust issues!"

"I just needed to leave this morning... We went out last night and he got really drunk. He gets jealous of Michael, who he's employed. He accuses me of all sorts."

"Honey you don't need a break from each other, you need a divorce. Get rid of his ass."

"Its not that easy." I wipe my nose.

She gives me a look.

"Why isn't it? You can stay here. Leave him. I won't let you go back to him."

"I just need to rest and think things through."

"Think what through?"

"Stacey he's my husband and we made vows. Me and him can work things through. He just needs help."

"Yeah vows which he ain't keeping! He's hurting you girl. He might need help, but he won't change."

"He said he would get help..."

"How many times has he said that? He's lying to you Lay."

I look down.

"I just need to sleep." I sigh.

She gives me a concerned look.

"Ok." She nods. "I'll get the spare room ready, then I'll come and clean your lip."

"Thanks." I show half a smile.

She tries to give me a reassuring smile and walks up to the spare room. I lay on the sofa and close my eyes. I slowly drift off to sleep before Stacey can clean my lip.

I open my eyes, waking up from my sleep. The lamps are on. Did I sleep for the rest of the day? I yawn and slowly sit up. I have a huge headache. I rub my face. Stacey walks in holding a glass of water and looks at me. For a moment i thought all of that was a bad dream. She passes me the glass.

"Thanks." I croak.

"Your mobile has been going off all day. I had to turn it off." She sits next to me. "That asshole trying to apologise and find where you are." She shakes her head.

I keep quiet.

"Layla, I think we should call the police."

"No." I widen my eyes. "I don't want them involved."

"But they will help you."

"I said no." I shake my head.

"Ok." She sighs. "We'll do this your way."

"I just need to stay here for a little while... if that's ok?"

"Of course it is. You can stay for as long as you want." She smiles.

I stand up and grab my bag. I pluck up the courage to look at my mobile. I turn it on and see 30 miss calls, 15 voice messages and 25 text messages. All from Marcus. I scan through the messages. They are all saying how sorry he is, and asking where I am. He says he loves me and wants me to come back home. I quickly wipe away my tears and send him a text.

It happened again. You promised me you would get help. I'm staying with a friend for a little while... We need a break. I can't keep doing this.

I send it and turn my phone off.