38

Bilbo, waking up from unconsciousness, sees the Eagles overhead,

"The eagles are coming . . ." He said softly

Thorin stumbles toward the edge of the frozen waterfall, looking out over the battlefield below, where the remaining orcs are being routed. Weak from his wound, he collapses on his back, Bilbo comes running up in surprise,

"Bilbo . . " Thorin said weakly

"Don’t move!" Bilbo instructed "don’t move! Lie still!"

Bilbo examines Thorin’s wound, then recoils in shock,

"Oh!" He exclaimed

"I’m glad you’re here . . ." Thorin said softly

"Shh" Bilbo hushed

"I wish to part from you in friendship" Thorin said

"No" Bilbo protested "you are not going anywhere, Thorin. You’re going to live"

"I would take back my words and my deeds at the gate" he said weakly "you did what only a true friend would do. Forgive me . . . I was too blind to see. I’m so sorry that I have led you into such peril" coughing up blood

"No, no, I’m glad to have shared in all your perils, Thorin - each and every one of them" Bilbo replied "and it’s far more than any Baggins deserve"

They smile at each other,

"Farewell, Master Burglar" Thorin said softly "go back to your books and your armchair. Plant your trees - watch them grow" struggling to speak "if more people valued home above gold this world would be a merrier place"

Thorin gasps deeply, then begins to expire

"No!" Bilbo shouted, tears rushing down his cheeks "no! No! No! No! No! Thorin! Oh don’t you dare!"

Thorin breathes out his last and dies,

"Thorin, Thorin, wake up" Bilbo said desperately "the eagles . . the eagles . . the eagles are here. Thorin . . the eagles . ."

Bilbo cries in sorrow.

.
.

Tauriel, heartbroken, looks down at Kili, who lays dead on the floor, not knowing how she was going to break the news to Ryneela.

"Kili?" A female voice asked from behind Tauriel

She whipped around, seeing Ryneela standing there, her sword bloody from the orcs, breathing slightly heavy from the running, tears filling her eyes at the sight of Kili laying dead on the floor. Tauriel slowly stepped to the side as Ryneela's sword fell from her hand, running a few feet to Kili and falling to her knees next to him, her shaky hands hovering over the wound on his chest, two of her fingers being placed on his neck, not feeling a pulse.

"No" Ryneela said softly "no"

Tears quickly filled her eyes, falling down her cheeks as a cry emitted from her, bent over his body, Tauriel closing her eyes and looking away from the scene. Upon hearing their sisters cry, the nine Men of Evantree sped up, only to stop short at the sight of her bent over the body of Kili, their hearts breaking at the sight, more so as another cry emitted from her, gently placing her head on his chest. Ryneela slowly reached into her pocket, gently grasping the stone and removing it, sniffling as she gently placed it back in Kili's hand, sobbing.

"Kili" she sobbed "please"

.
.

Thranduil walks slowly through the ruins of Ravenhill, gazing about at the carnage, Legolas approaches him,