14 ; elixir

14 - elixir -

There's a fine line between nerves and excitement, and I had no idea where I stood now. As much as I hoped to have one foot in and one foot out, I knew myself well enough to say safely that it was probably just either one.

We walked quietly down the beach, the sand under my feet hot but soothing even through my shoes. It was such a nice day out, I was resisting turning my head up to face the sun and just breathe for a moment. It was peaceful like this, walking side by side in comfortable silence with nothing but the future in mind. It was really nice.

Until somebody said my name.

His voice had been in my thoughts occasionally for years, in the daydreams in the middle of classes or just when Aera blabs about idol groups. But I can't say I'd ever imagined him saying my name like that. His voice was smooth like honey being poured into your palms; smooth, soft and a little bit sticky.

I didn't know how to answer at first, my throat going dry. So, I just let out a small hum and looked up at him, hoping he accepted it as a gesture to continue.

"I really think you'll like this place," He told me, making me smile as he said, "You like pizza right?'

I'd just laughed, telling him I did.

When he told me that I would like this place, I trusted him to be right, and, true to his word, when the shop came in sight, I was pleasantly surprised.

It was a cute little spot, more of a hole in the wall than an actual restaurant, actually. It was so hidden, even I had never been there, and I'd been coming down here for years. But it had undeniable charm, with a cream-coloured arched entrance, aesthetic worn brick walls, and dainty black chairs and tables.

He laughed when he looked at me, my lips parted slightly in surprise.

"Like it?"

My lip turned up in a smile as I nodded. "How did you find this place?"

"Long story." He nudged me, "But I'll tell you over a slice," He said, grabbing my wrist and pulling me inside with a smile.

Just that segment was better than I could've imagined. He was almost saccharine about everything, but he also let me do a lot of things myself, which I appreciated. He told me what he liked the best when we ordered, he told me where his favourite spot to sit was, and he even bought me a soda, even though I knew that as a senior he didn't have that much extra money to spend.

"Hey, you don't have to," I'd said, putting a hand out to stop him after he'd picked up what I told him was my favourite.

"This is a date, Dohyeong," He gave me a charming smile, "Let me,"

So, I did.

When we finished eating, he immedietely shrugged on his jacket and jumped to his feet. I gave him a questioning look, but still followed his actions. He waited patiently as I gathered my belongings, but right after that, when I wasn't paying attention, he grabbed my hand and began to walk briskly. It all happened a little too fast, causing me to stumble after him with nothing but adrenaline pumping through me.

I grinned as we both broke into a jog when we were outside, running through the people we encountered until we blended in with the masses and the restaurant similarly blended in uselessly with the rest of the buildings.

When we both come to a stop, we were breathing heavily. But, I still laughed anyway.

"What?" He asked.

"You're absoutely insane," I said, "But I like that,"

He seemed to pull out a laugh, seeming awkward as he told me that he was glad I felt that way.

I didn't know if something was wrong, but considering that I'd been having a good time, I hoped he was too. My gaze softened as I continued to look up at him. I wanted to figure out why he'd suddenly become like this, but before I could really think about it he began walking ahead, the hint of a forced smile still on his face. I began following slowly behind him, still speechless at the sudden drop in the atmosphere.

"Now, come on, let's go," He says. "We don't want this going somewhere else," he nodded and flashed a tight smile. "There's a pretty great bookstore nearby that has a sort of vintage aesthetic to it that I think you'd like. Well, at least, I think you would-"

"Hyeokjae," I said his name quietly, making his voice come to a startling stop.

"What is it?'

I hesitated. "Are you alright?"

He just gave me the same smile. "Just some things on my mind. Don't worry about it,"

There's a moment of silence, and a soft, kindle of a genuine smile ghosts his lips. He put a hand on my shoulder, squeezing in comfortingly.

As it turns out, I did end up liking the bookstore after all.

--

It was almost dusk when we got back, and I couldn't wrap my mind around how. It had only felt like a couple hours to me, and though I still felt guilty about his sudden mood change, I hoped he'd still had a good time.

Though I'm not sure what Hyeokjae thought about today, to assure myself, I'd just say he had fun too for now.

When I walked in the door, the immediate thing that I heard were the words of the angel.

Comfort was obvious in his voice. "I know you're doubtful, but just say it went well. You and I both know it'll be easier,"

It was all he said, but I knew what he meant. Not long after, as if on cue, footsteps sounded through the hall as Aera came into sight.

"Dohyeong!"

I put my bag down and gave her a forced smile. "Hey,"

It went well, Dohyeong. You can say it.

"Just a 'hey'? How did it go?"

Say it.

I shrugged as I dug my phone out of my bag with a fading smile. "It went alright,"

God, I can't even listen to myself.

I just heard the angel sigh from behind me.

--

AN: i don't know if anyone's noticed, but i've changed the cover 7 times in the past 2 days