20 ; i have a confession to make

20 - i have a confession to make -

"Can I ask you something?"

I looked up from the water submerging my feet at the angel's sentence. He stood just above the wave line, his expensive-looking dress shoes oddly clean from standing in the sand for the past hour or so.

I nodded as I looked back at the water, ignoring the freezing feeling shooting up my spine as I said, "Go ahead,"

As soon as I finished the lunch I'd brought, he and I both knew I was at a loss for what to do. So, he'd taken my hand and gotten me up, telling me to go down by the water. He looked really pleased with his suggestion, so I didn't have the heart to tell him that the water was probably freezing. So, I had just joined him down by the waves, letting my bare skin become accustomed to the water.

And surprisingly, the water wasn't as cold as I thought it would be. It was actually a pretty comfortable temperature, though it was colder as I moved around, it seemed to warm up wherever I went.

"What's your favourite colour, Dohyeong?" He asked, making me smile as I recalled the memory.

"Red," I said, making him raise a brow, slightly amused as I motioned to his hair. "I see it around so often, after all. I guess I just like it now,"

"How about a time of day?"

I pondered for a moment over that one, not really having ever stopped to think about it.

"Sunrise. They're like sunsets with a sort of sleepy aesthetic, and, they're really pretty on the occasion I see them," I decided, his lips tugging up in a smile as he nodded, seeming to very happy about learning these small details.

"How about you?"

"Golden hour," He answered almost immediately, catching me slightly off guard.

He continued, "They're beautiful as well. With an equally sleepy aesthetic, if you ask me,"

"What about sweet or sour?"

"Definitely sweet,"

I just scoffed, looking up to meet his gaze. "Nah, sour is better,"

"Fine," He said, looking up and taking me in equally. "Coffee or tea?"

"Coffee, no question."

"At least we agree on that."

It went on like that for hours, and after that, I definitely felt like I could say that I was closer to the man I called my guardian angel. It was like a part of my brain was relaxing, as I was finally able to get past his endearing flat expressions and closed-off worry. I felt like I'd subconsciously checked a box off I wasn't even aware of having.

I might have a tendency to act closed off with people I'm not close to as well, but it seemed natural to open up to him, his encouraging smile just making me feel comfortable. I really felt like I could answer honestly, and usually had no trouble coming up with a question to ask him back. I learned that in heaven, there were no time stamps, and generations of activities blended together. So, I learned that while he liked to occasionally swim in the garden of eden, he also liked to play video games with his friends. He was a bit of a germaphobe and loved watching movies.