23 ; almosts and what ifs

23 - almosts and what ifs -

-

Dressing up wasn't something I did often, but when I did, I definitely enjoyed it. I remember the absolute winning smile on my face when I looked in the dressing room mirror, the last dress on the rack that I had spotted looking exactly how I had imagined it would.

But that was around the end of November, before everything had happened. I had just gone one day after school, with the intent to waste time at the mall, not even to find a dress. I hadn't even imagined that I'd be here, worrying about everything I thought I'd never have to. I felt completely different as I held it up in front of my body. I could clearly remember standing in front of the mirror then, but now it felt like I was looking at a different scene only a month later, even though neither of the centrepieces had changed.

So much had happened in the past month, it was a marvel to even think that I was still the same person. The thought didn't make sense, I knew, but I couldn't be bothered to explain it. It was like everything had changed, and yet nothing had changed at all.

I stared at the dress in the mirror, my lips flattening. It was the same dark emerald green dress that I'd loved a month ago. The same satin one that reached just above my knees, had a slightly scooping v neck and small ruffles at the shoulders. I smiled a bit, acknowledging the fact that I was still just as excited to wear it now as I had been then.

The dress was the same. The fabric still flowed and looked the same way, even after being cooped up in my closet for a month. As I was staring, Taeyong finally noticed that I hadn't moved in a while.

"What are you doing?" He asked, his brows knitting together. He was sitting on the window seat, the thick mat-like material beneath him made comfortable with the added festive blankets and throw pillows

I didn't really have an answer for him, as I honestly didn't know what I was doing either. It was only 5 o'clock, which meant that we wouldn't have to leave for my grandparent's for at least another hour. And in no way shape or form did I really need to be staring at the dress in the mirror, nor force my brain to think weirdly about it.

I gripped the hanger tighter before just setting it down on my bed, sighing. "Nothing. Why?"

I sat down on the bed as he pursed his lips and shook his head, looking away.

"The dress looks nice, Dohyeong,"

As he said that, he turned away so I couldn't see his face. And I didn't say anything, but I somehow still found my eyes wandering back over to it, my mind irrevocably stuck on the words.

I walked in my grandparent's door around an hour later, my mind giving me the image of my dress flowing in behind me with the wind. But, that soon came to an end when I heard the door close behind me, the dress resting comfortably on the back of my legs.