17 ; platonic

17 ; platonic -

--

I woke up the next morning with the sun in my eyes, but well-rested nonetheless. There was an airy feeling in me as I sat up, my world feeling lagged as fuzzy memories of yesterday came flooding back into me. At that, my eyes wandered to my bedside, where Taeyong was still sitting.

His eyes were closed, which led me to, stupidly, stare a little longer than I should have. Though his current loose expression wasn't much different from his normal flat one, for some reason, I found refreshment in seeing it.

His eyes twitched, almost making me do a double-take. I couldn't explain why, but I really didn't want to be caught staring. And it seems I didn't listen to my gut soon enough, because a few moments after, his eyes opened.

Oh.

I leaned back and shut my eyes just as he turned around to look at me, reaching my arms in the air in an impromptu stretch. When I opened my eyes again, he just gave me a small nod in greeting before turning away again.

A feeling I couldn't explain flashed through me at that moment, catching me slightly off guard. I didn't know what to make of it, so I just pushed the unwanted thoughts to the back of my mind, getting out of bed and making my way to the bathroom.

As I heard his soft footsteps behind me, I realised how much of my thoughts were really filled with this boy, this angel. I had been trying to figure out anything about him when I didn't even know where to start. I mean, for god's sake, the only thing I knew about him was his name, when he probably knew everything about me.

"Hey, Taeyong?" He looked up, hiding his surprise kind of badly.

"What is it?"

I didn't really know what to say at that moment, so without thinking, I asked, "What's your favourite colour?"

He smiled softly.

"Red," He said, pointing to his hair as we met eyes in the mirror. I just laughed and looked away soon after, grabbing my toothbrush as I said,

"Fair enough,"

--

Looking at the situation now, I don't know how Aera convinced me to do this. All four of us were packed into her car later that day, the heat blasting as we drove to the beach.

And it was great timing, because unlike the last few days we'd been here, it was feverishly cold. The last few days we'd been here, it had stayed around 10 degrees, but tonight, the baseline was -2. And though it undeniably reminded us of the cheery holiday looming over us, it also reminded us of the finals that followed. But we tried not to think about that. In the meantime, we were all swaddled in thick coats while Mark and Jiseon battled in the back seat to see who could tell the cheesier joke.