19 ; two team

19 - two team -

"Taeyong, you don't have to help me, you know."

"I know. But, I want to. And, what kind of person would I be if I didn't?"

The lights were still out as I crouched down to untie my shoes, my fingers shaking as they weaved through the laces. The after effects of the cold were still lingering in me, sending light shivers through my body.

The good part of me was already scolding my decision to walk home, even if it was just a measly couple blocks. But, another part of me was still clinging stubbornly to my preliminary thoughts, preventing me from dwelling much in the latter.

Though as I was debating with myself, I immediately stopped when I noticed someone crouch down next to me.

Taeyong looked comically unbothered in the cold temperature, his plain dress shirt and suit jacket seeming like it was doing him enough justice to be comfortable. Meanwhile, there was me in a thick shirt and a hoodie yet still freezing.

"Cold?" He asked, raising a brow as I turned my attention to him.

I let out a sheepish laugh as I stood up, slipping off my shoes. "Nothing that can't be fixed,"

And for a moment, he stayed crouched down, a small smile turning up the corners of his lips. My heart beat heavily with gratitude for the nth time that day, and, contradictory to everything, I was suddenly very aware of how much his presence really meant to me.

There was no doubt I'd probably be upstairs sitting silently on my bed, maybe even crying if I really let myself have it if he weren't here. But he subconsciously reminded me that what I was thinking really wasn't that big of a deal and was completely fixable and easily confirmable.

So, I padded upstairs and tried to banish my worries, with Taeyong not far behind in quiet pursuit. I wasn't going to make much of this and just wait out the ridiculous feeling until morning. Maybe I'd even ask Aera about it when, if, she came back tonight.

But we were all almost 20, so I could at least expect one thing or another. So, with her and Yuta, and maybe even Jiseon and Mark, I knew I probably shouldn't count on them coming back tonight.

When I opened the door to my room, I immediately went to sit on the bed, the sheets looking awfully inviting after the long day. But, before I did, I noticed something laying on top of the mundane blankets; a single yellow flower.

My brows knitted in confusion as I walked over to it and picked it up. The colour was a bright and happy one, almost glowing in the contradicting atmosphere. I sat down on the bed with it in my hand, wondering who in the world left it here, and why in the world they would.

A deep part of me hoped that it had been Hyeokjae, but deeper down knew it was probably just Taeyong's attempt to tell me something. Though, strangely, I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be at that possibility.