CHAPTER NINETEEN

Incoming call from Mamá
Accept or Decline

"Hola Mamá," Veronica cheerily greeted through the phone as she made her way to the couch. She knew her mother would want to talk for a while, so she got herself comfortable.

"Hola mija," Veronica's mother, Rosa, said. "I see you've been making headlines." Veronica quietly giggled at her mother's sarcastically scolding tone.

"I guess I have," Veronica playfully stated. Unsure of how her mother would react to the news of her friendship with Sebastian, she hadn't told her about it. Of course, you can only keep things from the paparazzi for so long. Her mother had obviously found out from the various news articles surrounding her and Sebastian.

"When were you going to tell me you two were together?" Rosa let out a deep chuckle from her side of the phone. "That muchacho is like my own son. I should have been the first to know."

"Mamá, we aren't dating." Veronica let out a gentle sigh. "Just friends, that's all." Veronica could hear her mother gently whisper "Ay dios mio" to herself. Veronica couldn't help but let out a small giggle.

"I can hear the lies going straight through your teeth mija," Veronica's mother scolded. "I'm not stupid, I'm your mother."

"Ay mamá, nothing is going on between us," Veronica said in a hushed tone. "I highly doubt he would want any sort of romantic relationship with me." Veronica let out a light laugh, in hopes that her mother wouldn't notice the sadness creeping into her voice.

"Mmm that's where you're wrong bebe," Rosa stated with a tsk sound. "I believe that's all he wants. You seem to forget how well I know him."

"I don't know..." Veronica trailed off. Silence filled the phone for what felt like ages, but Veronica had no idea what to say.

"You know," Rosa began. "He came to our apartment everyday for almost a year after..." She stopped before saying 'you left.'

"He did?" Veronica asked, suddenly feeling like a horrible person once again. Veronica could feel her throat tightening, as her eyes began filling up with tears. She sniffled before saying "What the hell is wrong with me?"

"Ay no bebe don't cry, por favor," Rosa sympathetically apologized. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

"No, it's not you," Veronica croaked, her voice wobbling, like jelly. "It's just-I just-I don't deserve his forgiveness. I-I left him, and everyone else, and he's able to bring me back into his life." Veronica's voice began to waver as she sniffled. "I'm not right for him."

"Now you stop with the sadness immediately," Rosa lectured. "Don't put yourself down mija, it's not worth it. Are you remorseful for your actions?"

"Yes," Veronica whimpered. "I am."

"Then stop acting like you're the worst human being on the planet," Rosa quietly said. "You are one incredible chica, and I know he knows that." Veronica wanted desperately to be able to tell her mother everything, why she left, why the wedding was called off. But she couldn't bring herself to it. For now, it was a secret she intended to keep.

"Yeah," Veronica said as she let out a breath. In the background, Veronica could faintly hear her father's booming voice yell "Rosa! Dónde está la leche?" Where's the milk? Rosa let out a sigh, one that slowly turned into a collection of chuckles.

"I better go before your papá gets stuck somewhere. I'll talk to you soon mija."

"Bye mamá, love you!" Veronica said, as happily as she could.

"Love you!" And with that, Veronica hung up and placed the phone face-down on the couch. Thoughts were racing through her head at a mile a minute, but the only words that came out were "Dios mio." My god.

Y'ALL WE HIT 1K READS ADGJKJVFGB THANK YOUUUUUU💖💖