CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

"Please hurry, I'm starving," Veronica grumbled through the phone. She lay sprawled out across the couch, legs crossed, her hair falling in her face. "I haven't eaten anything today."

"That one's on you my dear," Sebastian sarcastically scolded. Veronica could hear him driving through the phone.

"Yeah, yeah," Veronica retorted. "Rápido!"

"Mmm," Sebastian droned. "I'll see you in a few." Veronica agreed and hung up. It only took ten minutes for Sebastian to ring the doorbell outside Veronica's Atlanta home.

"I see you took your sweet time," Veronica jokingly pressed as she opened the door. Sebastian, who was holding a large box of pizza, rolled his eyes as he stepped into the apartment.

Veronica grabbed the box from his grasp and placed it on the wooden kitchen table. As Sebastian placed two slices of the piping hot pepperoni pizza onto the two plates waiting on the table, Veronica grabbed a bottle of red wine from a cabinet, and filled two glasses, bringing them to the table. She sat down next to him as they both grabbed a slice off of their plate. They mostly are in comfortable silence, which was just fine for Veronica.

Once the two of them finished their meals, they remained close together at the dining table. Their chairs were pushed as close to each other as they could get. Veronica shifted her weight closer to Sebastian, until she was halfway onto his chair.

"I am stuffed," Veronica said with a heavy sigh as she rested her head on Sebastian's shoulder. "Time for bed."

Sebastian smirked to himself before placing his hands on Veronica's waist, swinging her onto his lap. It was a bit tight due to the table being so close, but he managed to maneuver her.

"Sebastian Stan, put me down!" Veronica demanded through giggles. She flipped herself around so she was know facing him. "I swear you are so incredibly annoying."

"What can I say?" Sebastian asked with a grin. Veronica chuckled and looked down for a moment. When she brought her gaze back up, she found her brown eyes with Sebastian's bright blue ones. She felt herself melt in his presence, leaning in closer to him. He moved in closer as well, until they were a few inches apart. Sebastian felt himself lean in, hoping this would be the moment they would be together once again. And for a split second, Veronica found herself beginning to close her eyes and allow it to happen. But only for a split second.

Before Sebastian's lips met hers, Veronica nearly jumped out of his lap.

"I'm sorry, I-we can't," Veronica said as she pulled herself away from him, moving back to her original seat. Sebastian looked at her in disbelief and confusion. His breathing became more and more rapid.

"What is going on Veronica?" Sebastian loudly screeched, standing up from the table. He frustratingly ran a hand through his hair and looked down at the floor. "Ev-Every time I think you might feel the same way I do, you shut me down. Every fucking time. A-Am I doing something wrong?"

Veronica felt her eyes welling up. She bit her lip, trying to figure out what she could say. Trying to figure out what she wanted to say.

"It's not you, Sebastian."

"Oh, isn't that just fantastic," Sebastian hissed. "Then who's fault is it, huh? Cause I'm sure you won't say it's you." Veronica sat stunned by his tone, by the way the words poured out.

"I-I-I'm sorry," Veronica stuttered in a hushed tone, her eyes glued to the table.

"Sorry?" Sebastian questioned. "Sorry doesn't amount to anything anymore. You told me you were sorry right before you ran away. Bet it meant nothing to you."

"Sebastian sto-"

"No Veronica, I-I," Sebastian cut himself off. "Why did you leave me?" Veronica looked up at Sebastian, her face stained with her tears.

"I can't."

"That's bullshit and you know it." Sebastian looked forward and away from Veronica. "I didn't want to say anything and fuck up our friendship, but it seems I've already done enough. I've waited for eight years for answers. That's all I ask."

Veronica's bottom lip quivered as the room filled with silence.

"Jesus Christ," Sebastian mumbled before turning on his heel towards the door.

"Sebastian, wait!" Veronica cried, shooting up from her seat and reaching him. He swiftly turned around, his face red with anger.

"Why? So you can keep acting like everything's fine? No thanks." Sebastian turned once more.

"Please, let me explain!" Veronica yelled. Sebastian ignored her and began opening the front door. Veronica tightened her hands into fists and shut her eyes before crying out and screaming, "I CHEATED ON YOU."

Sebastian stopped where he was, frozen. His hand remained stuck to the doorknob, unable to make it turn. Veronica's hand went to cover her mouth, in shock of what had flown out of her mouth. As Sebastian slowly began to turn around, Veronica collapsed to the ground, the loud cries escaping her mouth.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god," Veronica repeated continuously, her hand still covering her mouth. Wails fell out of her lips, her cries filling the room, echoing around them. Her tears spilled out of her eyes, her breathing became short and choppy. "I cheated, I cheated, I cheated."

Sebastian's hands began to shake as he slowly crouched down to her. He sat on his knees and pulled Veronica into his chest, cradling her. She put a hand on his chest and buried her face in his shirt, covering it with her tears. He closed his eyes as he rubbed her back and listened to her cries. Was he hurt? Absolutely. But he couldn't let that get in the way of how clearly distraught she had become.

"It's okay, it's okay, I'm not going anywhere." Sebastian quietly comforted her, waiting for her to relax.

After a few minutes, Veronica's tears turned to sniffles. She looked up at Sebastian. When he saw her, observed her tear-stained face, he saw the woman that left him all those years ago. He couldn't let her leave this time.

"You're not gonna leave me?" Veronica asked in between breaths.

"No. I'm staying. It's you and me forever Roni." Veronica weakly smiled as tears welled up in her eyes once again. She threw her arms around him, drawing him close to her. It was then that Veronica brought her lips to his. And there they stayed. On the cold hardwood floor they stayed. And that's the only place they wanted to be.

Long time no see huh? I'm not going to try and make up excuses. I just felt very unmotivated, and I still kinda do. The writers block has been terrible, but I'm trying to continue writing because I still enjoy it so so much. Thank you all for continuing to read the story xoxo

Also, shameless self promo, I just uploaded a new fic called "Bliss" if y'all want to check it out! Love you all❤️❤️