13

Touka blurted out a sigh upon reaching the office and Kaneki smirked as he walked in after her. "Dreading work early in the morning, I see."

Glancing around the office, she decided that it was safe to talk since no one has arrived yet. She rolled her eyes at him and folded her arms. "I wouldn't be so tired if someone would have just given me a lift with his BMW instead of leaving me to take public transport alone."

His eyes narrowed. "It was already stated in the contract that we mustn't be seen in public together as it'll affect my reputation as the boss of this company as well as my marriage to Rize."

She groaned. "Ugh, I know. The contract is too strict, going as far as to still have the both of us call each other by our family name. Can we change that rule? I just find it odd for a wife and husband to be so...distant.  Calling someone by their first name is always the first step to having a better relationship with one another. Besides, if I continue calling you Mr. Kaneki as usual, I'd feel like you're still my boss even at home and I don't want that."

Kaneki put a finger to his chin and pondered. What she said does make sense. We can't be calling each other 'Kaneki' or 'Kirishima' for the many weeks or month to come. "Alright, I'll change the rules tonight. You'll call me just Kaneki. How do you want me to address you?"

She grinned. "Just Touka."

--

1am that morning...

Touka's eyes cracked open when the lights outside flickered on for the nth time since she moved into this house and she got up from her bed. Grabbing a cardigan, she flung it around her shoulders and walked out to the living room, where she saw her 'husband' sitting on the couch with a book in his hands. "You're not going to sleep?"

The male regarded her with a nod. "Can't sleep."

"May I ask the reason why?"

"..the bed feels empty without--" Kaneki stopped himself there and directed his gaze back to his book.

She plopped herself down beside him, leaving an acceptable amount of space between them on the couch. "I'll accompany you until you sleep then."

He's thankful that she has the decency in her not to probe any further. He really doesn't feel like talking about Rize right now. "You'll be tired at work tomorrow. Go to sleep. You'll be bored even if you stayed here."

"I'll just watch television then," Touka replied, grabbing the remote control and pressing the 'on' button. A small smile graced his lips. "Up to you. It's not my fault if you act like a zombie at work tomorrow."

She let out a grunt, her attention already taken by an interesting show about animals.

An hour passed, and Kaneki finally felt his eyes drooping--indicating that it was time for bed. He turned to her, wanting to tell her she could go to sleep now but she had already fallen asleep against the sofa. He found himself chuckling at the thought of her insisting that she would stay with him until he fell asleep but she's the one who fell asleep instead.

He pushed his black sleeves up and carried her body in his arms. He was surprised at how easily he did that, given that he didn't think she'd be this light. His body stiffened when she leaned her head against his chest with a murmur and he tried not to focus on how good she smelt. It could have been her shampoo or body lotion... Whatever it was, she smelt nice.

Shaking his head out of his thoughts, he brought her to her room and gently placed her down onto the bed before pulling the blankets over her. He settled down onto the soft mattress and watched as she slept so peacefully. His hand moved the stray hairs on her face to the side and he leaned down to press his lips to her forehead. "Thank you for staying with me." He whispered, before closing the door behind him.

Little did he know that Touka was half-awake and she couldn't stop the blush from forming on her cheeks. How could his personality be so cold yet gentle at the same time? For the life of her, she couldn't figure that out.