17

It was 9 pm by the time Touka awoke and her stomach growled. She got up and went to the living room where she saw hot food on the table. Kaneki walked out of the kitchen and gave a smile. "I just thought you'd be hungry soon and I hope you don't mind I cooked something."

"Have you eaten?" She asked as she settled down on a chair and he sat opposite her.

"I haven't. Was waiting for you."

"..thank you."

She took her chopsticks and clapped her hands. "Thank you for the food."

He watched her take a small piece of chicken and put it in her mouth. Tears brimmed in her eyes and he brought a tissue to dry her tears. She's eaten his food before together with him and she wondered why her tears wouldn't stop. Perhaps it's because the thought of having a warm meal with someone in her home after a long time made her emotional. For 11 years now, she has been eating alone at this dining table, with no one to accompany her. She's grateful that he's with her today, at least she won't be alone drowning in sadness on their death anniversary. "I'm sorry, I've been crying all day today. I'll stop."

Kaneki shook his head and got up to pull her to his chest. "I'm glad you're letting me stay here and help you. I know no one wants to be alone in these moments."

From the bottom of his heart, he hoped that whatever he was doing now would heal her broken heart. Even if it's just a little.

The morning sun filtered through the curtains and Kaneki cracked open his tired eyes. He looked down and smiled at the beautiful lady in his arms. His cheeks soon warmed at the remembrance of how he held Touka to sleep the previous night. Fingers moving to push her bangs away from her beautiful face, he gazed down at her. Her pink lips were tempting him. He still remembered how he had kissed her once because he had thought she was Rize, and twice because he wanted to feel her lips on his again.

He watched Touka furrow her eyebrows and slowly opened her eyes. She looked up at him with a smile, hair falling back to cover one side of her face. "Good morning."

Suddenly, the words his best friend—Hide—once told him came to his mind.

Get a girl who makes your heartbeat go fast with their morning face.

He made a mistake once with Rize, when he fell for her looks before realizing her true personality. He won't make the same mistake twice. Through this time he has spent with Touka, he's seen almost every side of her. Sadness, anger, embarrassment and happiness, and he found himself falling deep in love with her. He can't help but want to spend more time with her and continue to see more parts of her.

But he won't confess nor make his feelings known to her since it didn't seem like she feels the same way about him. He will stay by her side and wait for her to fall in love with him.