29

As soon as Touka got home, she dashed towards the bathroom and bent down in front of the toilet bowl. Her chest heaved, hands clenching the bowl as she emptied the contents of her stomach and a shaking hand reached up to press the flush button. She stood up slowly and braced her hands on the sink. 

Glancing down at her watch, she cursed and quickly grabbed the toothbrush. Kaneki will be home soon, she needs to get herself looking well before he returned. He's been very tired these days and the last thing she wanted to do was worry him.

--

"I'm home!" Kaneki announced as he removed his shoes and socks quietly. 

Walking out to the living room, Touka leaned against the wall to steady herself and smiled. "Welcome back."

His eyes narrowed. Maybe it was too dark that he couldn't see well, so he moved closer to her and cupped her cheeks. "Hey... you okay? You look pale."

She reached to wrap her arms around his neck to pull him close. "I'm fine. Do you want a meal or--" Her eyes widened as a rush came up her throat and she ran to the bathroom once again.

"Touka?!"

He followed after her and found her hugging the toilet bowl as she vomited into it. He rushed to her side, kneeling down beside her and held her hair back. Rubbing gentle circles on her back, he peered into her pale face and frowned. "Hey, you're not feeling well. Do you need anything? Water?"

She gestured for him to flush and he did as instructed. He held onto her as she stood up and she leaned against her chest. "I'm okay.."

The devil she was.

Kaneki whisked her up in his arms, despite her protests that she was okay, placed her down onto the bed and pulled the blankets over her. He felt her forehead--which was slightly warm and put a cold towel over it. "Stay here, I'll go cook something for you to eat."

Knowing that he'll never listen to her when he gets like this, Touka nodded and slowly closed her eyes. The male made his way to the kitchen once he made sure that she was asleep and started preparing for porridge. His cellphone rang halfway during the washing of the rice and he cursed as he picked it up. "What is it, Rize? I'm busy."

"Come have dinner with me. I'm bored~"

Screw her. He prioritized Touka's health over everything else.

"As I mentioned, I'm really busy and I don't have time to have meals with you. Bye."

--

Entering the bedroom with the hot porridge he made, Kaneki settled it down onto the bedside table and gently shook his wife to wake her up. Her eyes cracked open and squinted a little at the bright light. 

"I made you something. Can you eat?"

She nodded and he helped her lay against the headboard. He fed her spoon by spoon, blowing each of them carefully to make sure she didn't scald herself. She managed to finish half of it before she says she couldn't and he acknowledged it--putting the bowl away. 

"Take a day off tomorrow. I'll go to the clinic or hospital with you."

Touka shook her head and squeezed his hand. "It's alright. I can go by myself. It'd be weird if the boss and personal assistant were to be absent together, right?"

He cursed internally as he recalled their conversation the previous night about being more careful. "Alright. If anything happens, call me and I'll go to you. Okay?"

"Mmm. Thank you."