33

After pretending to be asleep the next morning, Touka got out of the bed as soon as Kaneki left for work and started her packing. She grabbed every clothing that laid inside the wardrobe, tossed it into her luggage, and packed the remaining necessities. Changing into a new set of clothes, she vacated the house in tears, leaving the ring and necklace, and a letter behind.

--

Upon reaching Mr. Kaneki's house, she passed him the signed contract and turned to leave.

"Thank you, Miss Kirishima, for making this hard decision. My wife and I are grateful to you."

"Don't thank me," She spat and calmed herself down. "Everyone in this world is an empty vessel. It is only with love that we are truly able to become human. I hope that once I'm gone, as parents, the two of you are able to provide him with the love he's been missing for all of these years. Just like he filled my empty heart with his feelings."

A tear fell down her cheek.

Goodbye, Ken.

--

Upon reaching home at the end of the day, Kaneki quickly tossed his shoes aside and ran towards the bedroom. It's been a long day and he missed seeing his wife. He wanted to take her in his arms and kiss her.

But alas, she was not in the bedroom. Nor in any of the other rooms that he'd searched. He frowned before settling down onto the bed and pulled out his phone to text her. Maybe she went to the convenience store without telling him? Either way, he thought that it would be good if he showered first and waited for her to return. He placed his phone down after sending the text and headed over to the wardrobe where he reached for a new set of clothes to change into.

He paused in his actions and stared up at the empty space in the wardrobe. Touka's clothes were gone. His heart raced as he rummaged through the whole wardrobe for her clothes but to no avail. They were all missing. He threw his gaze over to the makeup desk, her makeup was gone and it was empty. Dashing into the bathroom, he found her necessities also gone.

After running around the house to find all of her items, he finally collapsed into the sofa when he realized that it was as if every trace of her ever living here was erased. Everything she possessed has disappeared. He started to hyperventilate. 

Did she leave him? No, she promised him that she wouldn't. He trusted her. She must've just gone on a holiday as she mentioned the night before. He calmed himself down, got up from the sofa and walked over to the dining table to find the 3 items there.

Puzzled as to why she would leave her treasures behind, he picked up the letter and started to read it.

Dear Ken,

If you're reading this letter, it means that I would have left by then.

These past 7 months I've spent with you was the happiest in my entire life. You closed the hole in my heart and give me a home, love, happiness. Unfortunately, God has decided that we are not meant to be together.

I'm sorry for leaving you like this. I'm sorry for breaking my promise to stay with you. I'm sorry.

I hope by the next time we meet, you'll be happily married to someone you love and have children with her. Thank you for everything.

Touka

Tears fell down his cheeks as he squeezed the letter in his hands.