40

The next morning...

Touka frowned as they stood at the doorstep. "Do you have to leave?"

"As much I don't want to, I have to. I need to get back to my company. I'll try to convince my father then I'll come back for you. I promise I'll make it right this time." Kaneki said, moving to envelop her in his arms and inhaled the flowery scent of her hair. "I'll miss you."

She nodded and hugged him. "I'll miss you too. Don't forget to call or text me when you're back."

"Mm."

As if sensing or knowing that her father was leaving, Ichika started to cry and Touka quickly rushed back to take her in her arms. Kaneki followed after and stared down at his child with a sad smile. "Papa needs to go now but he'll be back." He cooed, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

The crying didn't stop, and Ichika's tiny hands grabbed his shirt tightly and refused to let go. Tears brimmed in his eyes as he took her and hugged her close to his chest. "Papa doesn't want to leave too..."

Touka sighed as the two of them sobbed together and took Ichika from him. "I'll handle her, you need to go or you'll miss your flight."

He wiped his tears away and reached into his jacket for an envelope. "Okay. Here's some money for you. I hope it's enough until I come back."

"You don't have to—"

"I want to. Now that I found you and Ichika, I want to take care of the both of you. Take this money and go buy some good food or new clothes. You deserve it."

She stared down at the envelope and took it. "Okay. Thank you."

He wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed her lips for the last time. With that, he took the afternoon flight back to Tokyo, leaving Touka and Ichika all alone in their tiny apartment again.

As soon as he reached the airport, he took a cab to his father's apartment. He seemed to be surprised that his son was here but let him in nevertheless as he looked like he had something to talk about. After settling down on opposite sofas & Mrs. Kaneki have served the tea, Ken stared at his father. "Why didn't you tell me that you were the one who made Touka leave? You saw how miserable I was when she was gone and didn't say a single thing."

His eyes narrowed at his son. "She told you?"

"I found her in Hokkaido and got her to tell me everything. How could you? You knew that I loved her!" He exclaimed.

"Love doesn't last forever, son. It's only at this moment. I'm trying to help you, one day you'll regret ever getting together with that woman because you'll find that she's with you because you have the money and not because she truly loves you."

He clenched his hands into fists and felt his anger boil. He was supposed to be talking to his father calmly but he just couldn't, not when he was talking so rudely about Touka to him. "Help? You call threatening her to leave me, help? All you ever did was ruin my life, starting from the day you married me off to Rize and she cheated on me after. And how dare you call Touka a money grabber. I was the one who initiated the relationship, not her. I won't sit and let you insult her, father."

"What's your point? Did you come here to argue with me?" Mr. Kaneki asked, leaning back against the sofa.

He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down. "What will it take to convince you to give me your blessing in our marriage?"

"Nothing."

His voice wavered. "Why are you so against her?"

"I need someone who can handle the company with you, and bear the family a male heir."

"She was my secretary once, she will be able to handle the company with me if I slowly teach her. If it's a boy heir you want, then I'll make one with her. Nothing is impossible." He answered.

"She's of lower birth and doesn't deserve to be your wife."

How dare he—breathe, Ken. Don't flare up.

"I love her and she loves me. That's all that matters. If you're still unable to accept that, I can't do anything about it. I wanted to at least get yours and mother's blessings when I marry the person I love but that seems impossible. I'll go ahead with the marriage, even without it."

"Your mother and I won't go to the wedding."

"That's fine." Kaneki stood up and left the house. He gave a call to Touka and she answered after a few rings. "Hello?"

"Touka, let's get married."

"You got your parents' permission?" She seemed shocked to hear that since his father was the stubborn type.

"No, but I'll still marry you. It's a little sad that I can't get them to come to our ceremony." She could sense the disappointment in the voice, which he quickly tried to hide. "But it's alright, I still have you."

"But what about Rize? Are you still married to her?"

"I divorced her 2 years ago. So I'm free and single now." He grinned and she laughed. "Okay."