18

Ever since that day he was by her side during her toughest time, Touka couldn't look in Kaneki in the eye or stand to stay with him any more than a minute. At work, she's making herself scarce as soon as she passes him some documents or his coffee. At home, once he enters the same room as her or vice versa, she leaves the room as soon as possible.

You may ask why. The reason is that she feels embarrassed and awkward after showing her weakness to him. On top of crying in his chest, she even asked him to stay and sleep with her in her bed. She wished she could erase that memory from her mind forever. But when she thinks about it logically, she's thankful that he was there with her on that day.

Her family's death anniversary was the one day in the year that she definitely didn't want to spend alone. Although she knew that he was only doing it because he was her husband in the contract, having him by her side comforted her immensely and she was glad for that. Plus, he provided her the warmth and love she hadn't felt in a long time.

Which was obviously not the case for Kaneki.

He didn't do it because of his obligation to the honor the contract, but because he wanted to. Touka was very dedicated to fulfilling the rules stated in the contract and he decided to not bring it up. That may have been a bad decision.

When she avoided him for the umpteenth time for the week, Kaneki couldn't take it and cornered her one night. With arms on both sides of her, he pushed her against the wall and she looked up at him with wide eyes. "W-what are you doing?!"

"Touka. Tell me why you're avoiding me." His grey eyes stared straight into hers.

"It's nothing."

When his face came closer to hers, Touka's heart raced and she willed for herself to calm down. His eyes narrowed at her answer and he gazed down at the way she was biting her lower lip. They look so tempting and he wanted to taste her again. He stopped himself, this wasn't the right time.

"Don't lie." He growled.

"I'm not—"

"Did you dislike my company on that day so much?"

It was slight, but she could sense the sadness in his tone.

"T-that's not it. It's just..." She struggled to form the words and squeezed her eyes shut. "It was embarrassing, okay?! To show you—someone my weakness and vulnerability. It was a first for me!"

His eyes softened and he cupped her cheeks. "There's nothing embarrassing about that, Touka. Everyone has their own weaknesses, even me. I was..happy that I was able to help you. Just like you did for me."

"I helped you? What did I do?" She asked, puzzled.

Pink tinted his cheeks. "Do you have to make me say it? Do you remember the rules I stated in the contract? The meals you cook for me, those nights you stayed up with me and the company that you gave me. I wrote all of those rules because they are things I've craved for a long time because I was lonely. Just as you have saved me when I needed help, I will save you."

Her heart raced. That was the reason for the contract. He was lonely, just like her.

Kaneki gazed down at her, thumb moving to press against her soft lips. He wanted to kiss her so badly and wondered if she would push him away if he tried to. Stepping closer to her, he had his arms around her and leaned down in an attempt to kiss her. She clenched her hands into fists on his chest and closed her eyes.

His cell phone suddenly rang and he withdrew in frustration. He glared at the caller and picked it up with irritation. "What do you want, Rize? I'm busy." He snapped.

"You wouldn't be saying you're busy if I said I know there's something going on between you and your personal assistant. Meet me at our usual bar now."

His face paled when she hung up. Of all people to have found out about their relationship, it had to be Rize. This is the worst. He needed to go see her and convince her not to tell anyone about it.

"I'm sorry. I need to go."

Touka grabbed his arm and looked at him with pleading eyes.

"Can't you stay?"

He shot her an apologetic glance. "Sorry."

Touka was overcome with sadness when she saw him step out of the door as soon as he received that call and she clenched her shirt in her hands. She didn't think she'd really be this upset.