34

Kaneki Ken stopped functioning after that day. With Touka not replying to his endless texts and calls, he refused to go to work and spent his days outside looking for her. He had asked people on the streets with a picture if they have seen her and even hired people to search for her. Each day, his hopes were dashed and he'd return home without any news of her.

It's been a week since she left and he's broken down mentally and physically. Without her, he doesn't bother keeping his environment clean. His apartment was a mess; with dirty clothes, alcohol bottles, and cup noodles strewn all over the floor, plates piling up in the sink, and there was even a foul smell in the air. 

His hair was untidy, with strands sticking out all over the place and his fatigue showed on his face, as he struggled to keep his eyes open after having sleepless nights for the past week. He was starting to look more and more like a panda every day with those eyebags of his. He hasn't been eating well either, making his face pale and cheeks sunken in. He doesn't even bother shaving, some stubble already growing from his chin.

Everywhere he went reminded him of her. The living room, where they often spent their late nights together. The kitchen, where they had fun cooking together. The bedroom, where they laid in each other's arms. Tears would brim in his eyes each time he remembered memories of her and he'd always break down crying.

After months of repeatedly acting like a zombie, his company started to dysfunction and his father decided that enough was enough.

"Ken. How long are you going to continue moping like this? Look at the company. She's just a woman. You already have Rize." His father asked, voice stern.

"Just a woman? Just? She meant the world to me! I'm not like you who married mother for business! I loved her! Now that she's gone, I don't...don't know how to go on..." Kaneki sobbed, tears falling down his cheeks as he squeezed his hands into fists.

Mr. Kaneki recalled the words Touka said. Everyone is an empty vessel. They need love to go on with their lives. But he didn't see the point, he's been living fine all this while without love. He doesn't see why his son should need it, after all this time. So he decided to take the company back into his hands again until his son came to his senses.

Each time Kaneki laid in bed, his thoughts would wander over to Touka. Why did she leave him? Did he do something wrong? Was she unhappy in their relationship? He recalled the words from her letter.

 Unfortunately, God has decided that we are not meant to be together.  

Other than abandoning her on her birthday because of Rize, he couldn't for the life of him, think of anything else that he did wrong. What went wrong?

Sadly, he wasn't able to come up with an answer as his tired eyes closed and he fell into a dreamless sleep.