28

Touka's ears perked up when she heard the front door close and headed out to the living room to receive her husband. "Hey, you're back. Do you want to have a bath first or a meal?" She asked with a smile.

All of the fatigue Kaneki had dissipated immediately after his eyes met her warm ones and he stepped forward to envelop her in his arms. He sighed, body leaning against hers and buried his face into her lavender-scented hair. "Sorry, I need a recharge. Give me a few seconds."

She sighed through her nose as she smiled and held onto his back. "I'll give you all the time you need."

Having her soft body against his calmed him immensely and he found himself pressing his lips to hers. Though taken aback by his sudden action, Touka slowly eased into the kiss and wrapped her hands around his neck to pull him close. After a brief kiss, he separated from her, albeit hesitantly, and smiled. "I would like to have my meal first, my wife."

--

They had their meal quietly at the dining table while Touka watched her husband suspiciously. After having been with him for almost 6 months now, she could roughly tell the difference between his usual poker face and his true feelings underneath. Right now, she could tell that he was slightly upset--from the way his eyebrows furrowed whenever he was deep in thought. 

"Did something happen?"

A simple question caught him off guard as his eyes widened and he stopped chewing his food. He remained silent, continued eating and swallowed. "How did you know?"

"I'm your wife, Ken. It'd be even weirder if I couldn't tell how you're feeling. So what's up? Is it because you're having troubles with finding evidence of your wife's cheating? Do you want to talk about it?" She asked, putting her bowl and chopsticks down.

He shook his head. "That's not it. It's just...I've been too careless lately. My father seems to know something is up with us."

Touka inhaled a deep breath. "What should we do?"

"Thankfully he doesn't have any evidence yet so I was just thinking we should stop interacting with one another in the office for now. Like stop chatting or calling each other casually. At least until he drops his suspicions."

"Oh. Sure. We can do that."

He placed his hand atop hers and stared into her eyes. She could see the apologetic look in those grey eyes of his. "I'm really sorry for all of this. I should have been more alert."

Touka flipped her hand over to the other side so she could intertwine their fingers and gave a small smile. "Listen, you've been saying that it's all your fault for everything but it really isn't. We're in this together, remember? As long as I'm by your side, I will shoulder your burdens with you. We will get through this. If you have any problems, I want you to talk about them to me. It's also partially my fault for letting down my guard. I'll be more careful next time."

Her words never fail to make him feel better. Kaneki squeezed her hand and leaned over to kiss her cheek. "Thank you, Touka."