25

After hanging up the call, he sent a text to Touka saying that he had to attend to something and will be back soon. He apologized for letting work interfere with this day and that she could eat first if she was hungry. She was a little upset because even though he's the one who promised her a date today, he's also the one who's busy with work. But she couldn't get angry at him, not when he prepared so many nice things for her and reserved a place at one of the most expensive restaurants in Tokyo.

So she arrived there and waited at the table. After 30 minutes, she sent him a text asking where he was. He replied, saying that the deal will end soon. After another 30 minutes, she asked again and he didn't reply.

"What do you think you're doing, taking my phone away?" Kaneki hissed after he brought his wife away from the table to talk to her at the hallway. "I need to update Touka on when I'm finishing."

"Isn't it rude for you to keep fiddling with your phone while you're with the client? It's common courtesy to put it away."

"I know that! But she's waiting for me alone. You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

Rize giggled. "Of course I am."

It's been 2 hours since Touka last received a text from Ken and it was already 10 pm. She's already eaten her main course and dessert but he's still not here. With a glass of wine in her hand, she sipped it slowly whilst looking out the window at the city. A waiter came up to her and she turned to him. "Miss, we're closing in 30 minutes. We would like you to vacate this place soon. Thank you for your understanding."

She frowned and stood up. There was no point in continuing to wait for someone who wouldn't reply to her texts or look like he would show up. So she headed home, leaving the tab on Kaneki.

As soon as the deal finished at 11 pm, Kaneki quickly rushed over to the same restaurant and found no one there. He asked the waiter where his date went and he told him that she already left an hour ago. Taking his phone out, he dialed Touka but she didn't answer. He sent many text messages asking where she went but she doesn't reply either.

He cursed and ran his hand into his hair. This was all Rize's fault and it was also his, for failing to keep their relationship a secret and letting his wife threaten him with it.

He returned home, hoping to find Touka there and he did—to his relief. She was in the living room, arms folded across her chest and had an angry expression on her face. He stepped forward, wanting to hold her in his arms but she avoided his hug. "Don't you have anything to say after making me wait there alone for 2 hours on my birthday, Ken?"

"I-I'm so sorry," Kaneki answered, eyes staring at the floor. "I tried to contact you but Rize had my phone—"

Her nose flared when she heard that he was with Rize but she tried to keep calm. "That's not what I'm angry about. Yes, I understand that you're busy with work but I just..was hoping you'd put all of that away on my birthday. Do you know how I felt when I was waiting for you? Everyone in that restaurant was looking at me like they pitied me. Like my date stood up on me. I'm disappointed."

"H-how can I make it up to you?" He asked, eyes flickering up to meet hers.

Touka sighed and put down her arms. "I don't know. Just..leave me alone. I need to think by myself."

"..I'm sorry—"

"Save it."