Part 1

Chuck rakes her hands through her strawberry bond hair and growls at the computer screen on her desk in her apartment. "Why aren't you working!? What did I mess up?" she grumbles. The code she had just input is not working the way she expected. She's still ahead on what she was supposed to get done for the day, but she it's still frustrating to have to search through code to find your mistake.

Chuck had started to work for Ad Astra Software in Charlottesville, Virginia about four years ago, right after she graduated from college. After about a year working there, she was allowed the opportunity to work from home, which Chuck accepted happily. Being naturally shy and introverted, she finds it difficult to work around other people. Being at home, alone in her space allows her to work much faster and better than if she had to deal with a bunch of people around her. Now, she only has to go in to the office about once a month to check in.

After her graduation is also when she moved to her current home. The one bedroom apartment is just perfect for her. The open plan living area contains a small kitchen and has enough room for Chuck's couch, tv, computer desk, and a small dining room table. The bedroom isn't exactly spacious, but it has a small closet and an en-suite bathroom that is actually fairly big. It's in a pretty good neighborhood, too, which her mother especially likes.

Chuck's cell phone rings and she turns it over to see, though she already knows who it is. Her mom's picture and the name "Diane Langdon" shine on the screen. Chuck accepts the call and stands from her chair to start pacing around her apartment. She could never sit still and talk on the phone at the same time.

"Hi, Mom," she answers.

Her mom's cheery voice rings through the speaker. "Hey, sweetie. Whatcha doing?"

"Working. What are you doing?"

Diane takes a bite of her sandwich and answers without swallowing. "I'm taking a break. Eating my lunch."

Diane works as a nurse at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, so she doesn't always get time to talk to her daughter from work. But she tries to talk to Chuck at least once a day, no matter what.

Chuck suddenly yawns into the phone. Not because she's bored with her mother, but because she didn't get much sleep last night. "Ugh," she groans and rubs at the crick in her neck. "I need to get a more comfortable couch since I end up sleeping on it so much."

"What's wrong with your bed?"

Chuck lets out a huff. "You know why, Mom. Negan," Chuck emphasizes.

Negan is Chuck's next door neighbor. And they happen to share a wall between their bedrooms. It didn't take Chuck too many nights to figure out that that wall isn't exactly sound proof. And that Negan is somewhat of a womanizer, bringing home a different girl a few times a week and "entertaining" her. Which always ends up with Chuck hearing moans and screams and Negan's headboard slamming up against the wall.

"Oh. That's right," Diane answers with a little chuckle. "Your alpha neighbor."

"Yeah. He's like the worst alpha ever."

"I don't know if that's true, Chuck. He's not killing people, is he?" she jokes.

"I guess not," Chuck concedes. "But he's so arrogant! Like way more arrogant than any other alpha I've met."

Diane chuckles into the phone. "You know alphas love showing off for us betas."

It was no surprise that Chuck didn't present as omega in her early teens, though her demeanor is very omega-like. Both Chuck's parents are beta. Or was beta, in the case of Chuck's father. He had passed away when Chuck was eight years old from a car accident. He was struck by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the highway and died almost instantly.